Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 1 x 11 on the not quite as expensive
  • charliemort

is there any reason not to slap one of those narrow wide chainrings on existing 2 x 10 crank and **just** but 11 speed cassette, drive, shifter, mech, and chain (assume you need specific chain)?

tomhoward

Nope. Fire away.

Iirc the chain isn’t 11spd specific either. The internal width is the same as 10spd

mos

Brilliant idea. That should only cost about £550. Bargain.

Mackem

Just go 1 x 10 and get a wider range by using a cog converter thing like the Hope one.

miketually
    Free Member

Just go 1×9 and get away with a slightly narrower range by being ace.

njee20
    Free Member

Iirc the chain isn’t 11spd specific either. The internal width is the same as 10sp

Nay, some people are using KMC X11SLs, but they’re designed for Campag 11 speed. I’d be reticent using another 11 speed chain, and wouldn’t use a 10 speed one.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

xx1 chains only £30 anyway, why bodge it?

back2basics
    Free Member

just go 3×9 and pay chips for chains and cassetes..?
    or am i missing something

fr0sty125
    Free Member

back2basics – Member
    just go 3×9 and pay chips for chains and cassetes..?

You did. ….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

about 2″ more ground clerance, a lb less weight and the reliability that the chain doesnt end up on the granny/pedal regardless of what gear you started the decent in.

DanW
    Free Member

xx1 chains only £30 anyway, why bodge it?

10 speed chains (tried KMC and Shimano) work perfectly as do Shimano 11 speed. However, the XX1 is the lightest chain I’ve tried (out of KMC X-10 SL, Dura Ace, XX1) and is similar money so no real reason to not use the XX1 unless you have a ton of 10 speed chains lying around that you stocked up on

N/W ring on the existing chainset is what most people seem to be doing and makes sense unless you are in the market for cranks anyway. No real way to get around the high cost of the cassette/ shifter/ mech unfortunately besides lots of shopping around on ze German sites. X0 saves a bit but other than that not many tricks I don’t think. The freehub cost also seems to vary a lot between wheels so that may make it more/ less expensive relative to other people.

sssimon
    Free Member

factor in a freehub or a rear hub too

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘1 x 11 on the not quite as expensive’ is closed to new replies.