Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1 x 11 for the road?
  • charliemort

Why hasn’t this come out

If I’ve got me sums right the range of a 50 / 34 compact with 11 / 28 cassette would be coved with 46 ring and 10 / 38 cassette

Gears too widely spaced maybe?

tomhoward

Roadies don’t want big jumps between gears

AlexSimon

That would be the usual reason. Roadies like their gears close together.
    Makes sense for finely-tuned athletes, but it probably wouldn’t bother me.

Have you seen the 1×10 Sram cyclocross groupset?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Can you get a 10-38 cassette?

I run 42t chainring with 11-32 10-speed cassette on my main training bike. I don’t find the gears too widely spaced although some people do fret about such things when I discuss it with them.

I’ve only got a front derraileur on 1 out 6 of my bikes – 3 road, 1×10, 3×10 and 1 SS, 3 MTB, 2 1×10 and 1 SS

MSP

Roadies don’t want big jumps between gears

Neither do a lot of mountain bikers.

charliemort

hadn’t seen that cx groupset – interesting

actually thinking about it you could probably keep 50 tooth and run 11 – 42 ish

as you don’t lose the shifter really as you need a brake lever, I guess there isn’t much in it weigh wise – only lose front mech

nedrapier

48T and 11-34 here. Works for what need it for: traffic lights and hills, mostly. Got a 38T for off road jaunts. Paul’s Chainkeeper up front works great almost all the time, unless you get caught backpedaling over bumps for some reason.

nickwatson
    Free Member

It would help if there was a thick/thin road chainring in 46/48/50 format – I’d drop the front mech in a flash if that were the case. Works so well on a MTB.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘1 x 11 for the road?’ is closed to new replies.