Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 1 x 10….the practicalities
  • vondally
    Free Member

okay going to have a go for 1 x 10…..but what do i need….so far

xt cranks from classifieds

nothing else at all going for
    zee rear mech
    zee shifter
    deore 10 speed cassette, 11-34

all from merlin

then settled on a 32 or 34 chainring but will a 9 speed chain ring work or do I need a 10 speed chainring?

do i need a bash guard?

Do I need a chain device? IF so what are the recommendations?

10 speed chain.

Crank bolts, do i need shorter ones or spacers?

Anything I have missed?

Northwind

Chain device- people will tell you not needed. I will tell you that’s madness 😉 It just doesn’t work. I really like the MRP 1X- very effective, and easy to set up. Superstar one is OK- cheaper, harder to set up, not as good. More or less as you’d expect really.

Bashring- not needed, personal taste. Chainring bolts will depend on what you decide here.

9 or 10 speed ring is fine. If you get a singlespeed/unramped one it’ll hold the chain better.

I’d go with an 11-36 cassette if you can- again personal taste but it gets you back some gear range.

clubber
    Free Member

9 speed chainring will be fine.

You don’t need a bash guard unless you need a bash guard

I’d suggest a SSC or MRP 1x type guide. You can use a front mech adjusted to sit right or some people even manage without a guide at all (but I’m not convinced)

Chainring bolts will need to be ‘narrow’ ones.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’d recommend short crank bolts, charliethebikemonger sells them and they’re not pricey. I use a E13 LG1 Tr (no bash), it’s not missed a beat yet.

andybloomer
    Free Member
    Trimix
    Free Member

A few of my mates tried 1×9/10 without a chain device, none of them managed it for long.

None of them, me included, use a bash guard. The ring is smaller than your old big ring, so more clearance. Its also got the chain round it, so its less like a spikey thing.

monkfish
    Free Member

For my 1*10 set up I used the following :

SLX shadow plus rear mech
    Hope single ring
    short bolts
    E13 chain guide (top only)

works flawlessly with no rubbing at either end of the cassette

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

zee clutch plus e13 32t chainring plus slx 11-36 cassette plus zee shifter plus mrp amg guide (has a bottom integral bash) = happy

mrblobby
    Free Member

I tried running without a guide for a couple of rides but dropped the chain whenever it got a bit bumpy. I use an E13 LG1+. It’s a top and bottom guide and bash guard (the banana shaped thing) and you can run any combination of the three. Usually just run the top guide but it’s nice to have the option of bolting on the bash if I’m hitting the gnarrrr. Rarely bother with the bottom guide.

Went for a Renthal chainring on an XT chainset. Looks good and works well. 32t has been fine for me with an 11-36 cassette.

krummond
    Free Member

Middleburn Mono Hardcoat 34t
    SLX Shadow+
    SRAM 11 – 36 Cassette
    Gusset Lil Chap chain device
    XT 10 speed chain
    XT shifter

Happy so far 🙂

krummond
    Free Member

Middleburn Mono Hardcoat 34t
    SLX Shadow+
    SRAM 11 – 36 Cassette
    Gusset Lil Chap chain device
    XT 10 speed chain
    XT shifter

Happy so far 🙂

danielgroves
    Free Member

deore 10 speed cassette, 11-34

I’d go for a 11-36 if I were you, you’ll want that extra bit of range.

then settled on a 32 or 34 chainring but will a 9 speed chain ring work or do I need a 10 speed chainring?

I’m running a 35-tooth ring, and find it hard to keep the front down in steep stuff. I’d probably go with the 32 unless you ride with a load of 2*9 running speed demons like me.

do i need a bash guard?

Do you hit your chainrings on things? If so, yes. If not, no.

Do I need a chain device? IF so what are the recommendations?

I’ve been running fine with an old front mech with carefully done limiter screws. Once my bash arrives from Wiggle though I have one of the Hope chain guides to go on. Can’t report back on how good they are yet, but certainly looks well made and weights sod-all.

Crank bolts, do i need shorter ones or spacers?

Ones for two rings if you’re running a bash, otherwise short ones for a single ring.

rootes1

The Zee mech has a clutch – make sure you order the wider range Zee mech – they do two versions to suit wide or closer range cassettes.

Rose bikes very very cheap for the Zee mech and shifter

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Hope 32 tooth single
    Superstar top only guard
    zee rear mech
    deore shifter
    11-36 xt cassette
    Flawless.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The new generation of clutched mechs do a great job of keeping the chain from jumping off the bottom. A top guide is still needed IMO

Duane…
    Free Member

As above, you’ll need a chain guide of some form (even if it’s a locked out front mech) if you’re riding anything remotely bumpy.

Whether you have a full guide (top and bottom) or just a top cage guide depends on preference/what you’re riding.

Whether you have a bashbuard will depend on the guide you are running/preference/what you’re riding.

tobymc

I use a BBG bash and N-Gear jump stop – never dropped the chain. Thats on a 34t Surly ring which i found induced mild chainsuck when everything was brand new. A couple of minutes with a small grinder making each tooth a touch slimmer and all was good.
    11-36 cassette is fine for me. XT mech. SLX shifter all from the classifieds

robbonzo
    Free Member

The Zee mech is 1x specific I believe so if you do decide you want to go back to 2x you might prefer a xt/slx…

Currently running superstar top guide, pain to set up but works well with a shadow plus mech. Id also go for 32t, and 11-36 out back, currently on 34t and it is fine but could do with a little extra occasionally.

Other than that, its brill!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10….the practicalities’ is closed to new replies.