Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1 x 10 with 28t ring
  • cartwheels

Thinking of trying 1 x 10, is there a way of running
    a 28t ring or smaller without upsetting chain line
    to the 11 end of the cassette range?
    I like my twiddly gears for steep technical ups and
    I not to bothered about going really fast, so not worried about
    Running out of gears on the downs.
    Any experience or help with this appreciated.

rickon
    Free Member

Someone does make a 28t narrow wide….

But 30t with 11-36 is perfectly fine for technical steep climbs. If you’re worried I’d be looking at a Hope t-rex 40t, that gives you equal to 26t at the front.

andypandy85
    Free Member

If you’re running out of gears on the downs, decreasing the size of your front ring won’t improve things…

cartwheels

Cheers Rickon
    I currently run 2 x 10, 22-34 front and 11-36 cassette
    Would be good to achieve as near to that bottom gear as pos,
    Does anyone know who does 28t narrow wide?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m running a wolftooth 28t narrow/wide on a 1×10 on my 29er (so I believe equivalent to a 31t on a 26er). It’s fine for any of the steep technical climbs I do around Derbyshire but does run out of steam on a smooth descent, but I tend to Coast those anyway. It’s a good compromise. I’ve been thinking about going 30t as I’ve got stronger and fitter, or even a 32t with a 40t cog on the back to get a granny. To be honest for the cost of changing the 28t is not that limiting so I’ll probably leave it.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’m running a 30t RF narrow wide with a 36 at the back. Just bought a Hope T-Rex 40t to stick on as i need a lower gear for long steep climbs. I tend to ride in hilly areas so need the low end.

It does mean that I’m in the highest gear on the flat but that’s fine by me.

kayak23

Lot of folks running around here…. 😉

I have in usage, a 32t front and 11-36+40 on the rear. I’d think that would be better than a 28t front. It’ll start looking like a bmx 🙂

I don’t know about equivalent ratios and all that but if I can’t get up something in a 32/40, then I need to work on things I reckon..

Looks like only wolftooth 28t are the popular ones just now.

calumf50
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1×10 x 28t set up for sale as I’ve gone back to 3 x 10 set up. Ive pm’d you the details. Sorry for the hi-jack.

nikk
    Free Member

Talking about chainring sizes without mentioning what wheel size you are using it with is meaningless…

Gee76
    Free Member

I think I saw absolute black doing a 28t for a 64 bcd chain set (conventional as it gets).

Blackspire Do a 26t and a 28t for an 80bcd crank (SRAM and raceface).

I run a 30t with an 11-36 on my 29″ hardtail for local hooning. Not the hilliest in Lancs tho. Having said that fancy trying a 40t rear cog to extend the life of my knees and as my fitness seems to drop off as the kids grow and take over my spare time.

My 29″ am bike has a 28t cog with 10-42 cassette but that tends to get used in the lakes on the steep stuff. With the 10t cog I can go as fast as I need but the 28-42 combo gets me up most things I have the legs for.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 with 28t ring’ is closed to new replies.