Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 1 x 10 using SLX/Deore double crankset
  • jamesy01
    Free Member

Bought a couple narrow/wide chainset as Superstar were kind enough to sell them for silly money yesterday.

Both my bikes currently use double chainsets, an SLX M675 & Deore M615, however I’ve seen various runmblings that 2 x 10 chainsets don’t provide an ideal chainline.

Does anyone have any experience of trying to set up for 1 x 10 using any of the above chainsets and how did it turn out in the end?

If it makes any difference the cassette on both is an XT 11/36 and I’ll be adding an e-thirteen 42t expander to save me poor wee legs, also one is FS and the other HT.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Just make sure you put the ring on the inside of the tabs and not the outside and you’ll be fine chainline wise

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Chainsets for a double setup don’t allow the ring on the outside anyway!

The outer ring on a double is around 2.5mm further out than the middle on a triple, so you have options to get the ideal spacing. Run spacers under the chainring to bring it inboard, or drop a BB spacer out and put it on the other side, moving the whole chainset over to the left. Check arm/stay/heel clearance but should be fine and you won’t notice.

I had 0.8mm BB spacers and some 1.5mm chainring spacers, so did both to move the ring about 2.3mm and the chainline is great.

kayak23

Got an slx double here running as a 1×10.
    Works very well.

matther01
    Free Member

When running a work components 32t with a SLX double, the chain ran over the bolt tabs as the were quite high and rounded. You may need to run some spacers to stop the rub.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Edit: was writing loads but i’ll just share the link about this topic instead.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-me-you-new-style-slx-cranks-preferably-1x-setup/page/2

jamesy01
    Free Member

Well this all sounds very promising.
    One last question, do I need to get shorter chainring bolts or can I re-use the ones already in place?
    Going to order some spacers with the 42t extender just in case.
    Cheers

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

I changed from 2×10 SLX to 1×10 SLX crank arm with a 34t hope retainer.

no problem!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fitted and fine to a SRAM 2x crank, moved 1 BB spacer to compensate.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 using SLX/Deore double crankset’ is closed to new replies.