Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 1 x 10 thick thin – Best Chain?
  • wm4wm4
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I’m running a SRAM XX cassette with XTR clutch mech, middleburn uno thick / thin ring with a hope chain guide (I might take the hope guide off as I had this before the thick / thin rings came out).

My KMC X10SL chain is wearing out and I tend to get one or two dropped chains per ride. I was going to buy a replacement and wondered if anyone has an opinion about which chain works best with this setup.

Either XTR, KMC or SRAM… any thoughts?

Northwind

wm4wm4 – Member

I’m running a SRAM XX cassette with XTR clutch mech, middleburn uno thick / thin ring with a hope chain guide (I might take the hope guide off as I had this before the thick / thin rings came out).

Wipperman or KMC then, just to get even more brands into your drivetrain 🙂

wm4wm4
    Free Member

well spotted, hadn’t realised I was doing the full monty!

Does that mean you have no real opinion or you genuinely think KMC or Wipperman are any better?

Northwind

Sorry, I’ve no informed opinion- I’ve used 10 speed 105 and X10-93 and been totally happy with both but that was with Shimano and a Works thick/thin, yours is so different I wouldn’t want to say…

tonyd

Middleburn do a thick/thin uno now? Good to know as I was eyeing up the Wolftooth ones last week.

tom200

I’ve had no trouble with a 105 chain and works chainring. It’s clean and the right length which helps.

etsxteam
    Free Member

I’ve had one outing on my new 1×10 setup using SRAM chain with hope retainer and xt clutch mech had no drop chain issues

happybiker
    Free Member

I was eagerly waiting for the Middleburn thick thin ring to bling up my X-type cranks, until I saw the price! £100 rrp, are they mad? I’m tempted to sell the cranks and just get some SLX cranks!

mkidley
    Free Member

No issues with a KMC X10-93 with my Raceface Narrow/Wide and Zee rear mech. Only dropped the chain maybe 3 times since September.

nickc

105 with Hope narrow/wide works well for me

tonyd

I can’t find a Middleburn thick/thin anywhere, but Wolftooth have started making them:

http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/products/direct-mount-for-middleburn-cranks

OP – I’ve been using a KMC 10 speed chain with both Wolftooth and RaceFace narrow/wide rings and an XTR clutch mech. I rode Snowdon at the weekend (amongst other rocky places) and not one drop.

wm4wm4
    Free Member

For those interested the middleburn thick / thins are available direct from middleburn. They are not cheap, especially the UNOs (mind you they are UK manufactured…)!

disclaimer – had I not gotten hold of a cheap RS8 uno crank a while ago I would probably be running a hope instead.

After much research (getting briefly caught up in the new KMC DLC chain) I think I’m just going to go for another KMC X10SL.

After having a few drops with my previous KMC SL chain I’m wondering if anyone has any strong arguments to suggest that a Shimano or Sram will hold better on my current set up (top of the thread)?

Also with XTR chain being directional is there any need to worry about the SRAM XX / Thick Thin / XTR combo?

cheers

wm4wm4
    Free Member

ps. anyone have much feedback on the wolftooth rings in terms of performance and durability?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 thick thin – Best Chain?’ is closed to new replies.