Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1 x 10 setup
  • s4rpf
    Free Member

Currently have a 3 x 10 setup with a sram X9 crank. can i just use put a single on that. and use a shorter bolt to mount it on the middlering. If so where do I get the shorter bolts from.

sorry for the stupid questions im clueless on this kinda thing.

mysterymove
    Free Member

yeap should be as simple as that, i think e.13 do short chainring bolts? either way LBS or CRC…

s4rpf
    Free Member

how do I know which crank bolt I need?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paddyanddre1978
    Free Member

most chainguides MRP etc come with spacers 😀

breatheeasy
    Free Member

how do I know which crank bolt I need?

Pretty much only two kinds of chainring bolts – narrow for single ring and normal for fitting two rings (sure there’s probably bashring specific ones too but thats a different worry).

If you;re feeling rich
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7064

or you could chuck some spacers/washers under your current bolts where the outer ring should be if you’re just trying it out. Or a lightweight chainguard…

MrTall
    Free Member

Ebay is the cheapest for short chainring bolts (that i know of).

I bought a set of five anodised ones last week from Tripple Butted Cycling on there for £6 posted. CRC etc seem to ask £10-£15 and when i bought some Middleburn ones a few years ago they were made of cheese and certainly not worth double.

I’ve recently built my first 1×10 and have already upgraded the front ring to a Renthal one as my new XT ring lost the chain on my first hop up a kerb despite using a basic Superstar chian device. SS specific front rings have bigger non ramped teeth which should help keep the chain on better. I hope…..

lostboysaint
    Free Member

That’s a big deal, the specific single front ring thing. I now run a Middleburn ‘cos there’s no ramps, no pins, no “missing” teeth designed to slip the chain off onto another ring. This is important when the chain is at the limits of the cassette and the angle offers the front ring the opportunity to slip the chain off.

I ran it without a chain device of any description for a while but now have a SS bottom bracket mounted top guide (£15).

s4rpf
    Free Member

Cheers guys. ordered some bolts and will see how I get on with my current ring. But will probably want to add a couple of teeth

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 setup’ is closed to new replies.