Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1 x 10 ratios with 42 tooth conversion – opinions
  • charliemort

If I want to match my current low gear (24 / 38) – ratio = 0.67, I’d need a 28 tooth front (28 / 42 = 0.67)

This would lose me a lot of top speed – currently 38 / 11 = 3.45, 28 / 11 = 2.55, close to current 38 /15

Anyone done this and found they don’t have enough top end? Can you even get a 28 tooth narrow wide chainring?

(Am aware ill get lots of mtfu and run a 32 front but am interested anyway)

charliemort

Oh fwiw – it’s on a 29’er

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You wont get a 28t AFAIK, 30 is a bit of a special beast. If you can’t match your current gears and don’t want to step up the grunt then stay 2×10.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah 29r, the missus can manage 32 easy and reckons 34 isn’t that bad 😉 and we have some good hills here.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I run a 30t ring and 40t General Lee adapter on my 29er and I’m finding it nigh on perfect. The top end gearing isn’t an issue as the majority of my riding is on tight twisty techy singletrack, or really techy steep stuff, so I can get away with lower gears. The 30×40 gear gets used a lot on the steep climbs.

Sram cranks with removable spiders can be fitted with 28t rings. Works Components do one.

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/works-components-sram-spiderless-chainring-alternating-thickness-extended-tooth-design-267-p.asp

robj20
    Free Member

XX1 does a 28t and you then get a bit of top end back with the 10t at the back.

porter_jamie

how about you just run a narrow wide 32t or 34t and leave the granny where is it. if you get to a stupendously big hill you can just throw the chain onto the granny. the extra weight would be negligible.

julians
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a one up 42 tooth cog on the back, and went with a 32 tooth up front.

My previous lowest gear was 22/36 = 0.61, now my lowest is 32/42 = 0.76.

I think with these ‘bodged’ large rear cogs, you’ve got to accept some compromise, either lower top end, higher bottom end or a bit of both.

I’m hoping I’ll just get used to turning a bigger lower gear than I’ve had previously, otherwise I guess I’ll go back to 2 x 10 until the 11 speed drivetrains come down to a better price point.

Gee76
    Free Member

FWIW I am still weighing up 28 or 30t on the front with a 42t rear.

Might stick with 30t front and 42 rear (one-up style) cog for my hardtail which mostly gets used for local trails.

Then go for 28t front and the 42t big cog of the x01 for my FS bike for burly lakes days out n big climbs.

My fitness is dropping off (mainly due to the distraction of having two kids bombing around) but still love the simplicity of 1 x 10/11. this setup seems kindest to my knees and still quick enough on the flats/downs…. for my level of bravery* anyways!!

* Bravery – in that if I hurt myself I shall receive no sympathy at home and will suffer hugely painful dressing down and having to limp by and do my bit with the kids…. even if I loose limbs while out biking!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gee76 – Member
    FWIW I am still weighing up 28 or 30t on the front with a 42t rear.

Might stick with 30t front and 42 rear (one-up style) cog for my hardtail which mostly gets used for local trails.

Then go for 28t front and the 42t big cog of the x01 for my FS bike for burly lakes days out n big climbs.

Do you really need that last gear?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 ratios with 42 tooth conversion – opinions’ is closed to new replies.