Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 1 x 10 ratios – am I missing something?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

This 1 x 10 thing appeals to me for my full susser. Better chainline, lighter weight, less noise etc. The only thing against it is losing ratios. I’ve heard/read that you only lose “1 or 2” of the lowest ratios but by my calcs that is nonsense.

I currently have a 11 – 32 cassette and a 36-22 double. If I go for an 11 – 36 cassette and 32 single chainring, the lowest ratio is of course 32/36 = 0.89. Based on my current set up the nearest equivalent ratio is 22/24 = 0.92. To cut the boring maths out for a moment, that means I’m losing the bottom 6 ratios, not to mention the higher gears.

This seems a much bigger sacrifice than I was led to believe by the “marketing men”. Have I got my maths wrong or what??

leggyblonde
    Free Member

surely you are only losing the 28 and 32 at the bottom end?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Your cassette runs …24…28…32 – so you lose 2.5 low gears not 6?

At the top end you lose a gear too.

kimbers

yes you are missing either one of these

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/9-36-cassette-prototype-2011.html
    or one of these

unfortunately the industry is playing catchup on this one

5lab

guess the question is how often do you use those gears? I’ve run 1×9 for 5 years and occasionally find myself missing a lower (on long climbs) gear and a higher one (on road descents, very rarely otherwise), but not very often.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Good old Al can always be relied upon to point out my *cough* deliberate school boy errors. I of course *cough* deliberately counted the wrong way up/down the casssette 😳

geetee1972
    Free Member

By going to 1×10, with an 11-36 cassette and a 32t front ring, from a 9-speed 11-34t cassette with 22/36 up front, you effectively loose the the ratios given by the 26/30/34 rear with 22t front and the 11 rear with 36 front.

So you’d be loosing four ratios in total – one from the top of the range and the three smallest gears.

I can’t believe anyone reading STW would miss a gear larger than 32t front by 11t rear (75.6 inches).

Technically the industry is not playing catch up with Hope they are actually having a race into the past.

That Hope integrated cassette and freehub is called a – wait for it – freewheel. Yes, that’s right, Hope have invested something that we all stopped using 20 years ago!

There must be a differnece between this design and the old freewheel design right? The flaw with the old design was that the axle bearings were not placed at the end of the axle making the axles weaker. How does this design get around that or is Hope just playing it’s ‘our products are shite but everyone loves us as we can do no wrong’ card?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I currently have a 11 – 32 cassette so I’m not even missing that many gears. I run a 36t chainring and do wish for a higher gear from time to time, but usually only on the road sections linking trails. Maybe the best compromise would be a 34t chain ring.

mmm, can feel myself being sucked in by the marketeers latest(?) big thing

cynic-al
    Free Member

stilltortoise – nothing personal!

There must be a differnece between this design and the old freewheel design right? The flaw with the old design was that the axle bearings were not placed at the end of the axle making the axles weaker. How does this design get around that or is Hope just playing it’s ‘our products are shite but everyone loves us as we can do no wrong’ card?

Hope and most cassette freehubs (bar Shitmano [(c)-TJ] and anything using their freehubs) work in the same way as screw-on hubs in respect of bearing placement – the axle is supported at the NDS and just under the DS flange or thereabouts*. Difference being they use muckle thick alu axles…which still break, only less.

*campag put the NDS bearing as close to the axle end as possible, which, must increase stress on the DS bearing, presumably not to any meaterial extent.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can’t believe anyone reading STW would miss a gear larger than 32t front by 11t rear (75.6 inches).

I would. I couldn’t run a 32-11 top gear, it would be too low for me. 36-11 is about as low as I’d go, and I have that on one bike, and I do use it quite a lot! 🙂

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’m on 36 front and 11 to 34 9spd rear. That gives me a dead straight chain line in the gear I use most, 36/17, which is the same as I run on my singlespeed.

Has no one yet pointed out that 11-34 9spd (and 8spd) cassettes have been available for ages so this 11/36 ten speed malarky is hardly revolutionary, just more expensive to replace when it wears out.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I would. I couldn’t run a 32-11 top gear, it would be too low for me. 36-11 is about as low as I’d go, and I have that on one bike, and I do use it quite a lot

I should have added, that I was referring to off road use. On the road, or on smooth fire roads, as Stilltortoise points out, I imagine you’d spin out fairly quickly.

Other than that, genuinely I can’t see the need for something bigger outside of a DH race. On 11t/32t I’ve never yet been in a situation where I couldn’t keep up with someone because I didn’t have a big enough gear.

Stilltortoise you should give it a go, it’s actually a really good set up. You loose about 1lb in weight and by adding a chain device you’ll never have any isses with your chain coming off. Plus you’re always in the right front ring; no more fannying around trying to go from the small to the large or vice versa. It’s so much simpler and more effective IMO.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 ratios – am I missing something?’ is closed to new replies.