Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1 x 10 dilemma. HELP!
  • cobbdu1
    Free Member

I have a SRAM double chainset (120bcd) with 10 speed on the back. I’d like to convert to 1×10 but the push fit bottom bracket and direct mount front mech are proving troublesome. I am not convinced that I will like it so I want to try it in the cheapest possible way. I figure I have 2 options:
    1) Buy a Renthal 36T unramped chainring and adjust my current front mech so that it functions like a chain guide. The potential problem here is that the 36T may be too big, but it is the smallest chain I can buy with 120bcd.
    2) Buy a new bottom bracket that will fit my oldish XT chainset (I prefer shimano to SRAM), fit a 30T unramped chain ring that a friend of mine has given me, and use my front mech as a chain guide as above. The potential problem here is that the 30T chainring may be too small and I may need to replace the chain ring anyway.
    I understand that the push fit bottom brackets are not designed to be replaced, so if a go down the second option it would be a right pain in the backside (and costly) to go back to option 1.
    Any help would be appreciated.

honourablegeorge

Does your crank have a removable spider?

Mackem
    cobbdu1
    Free Member

I don’t think it has a removable spider.

Am I right about the fact that once removed a push fit bottom bracket can’t be replaced?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, you’ll generally end up wrecking a push fit bb to get it out, so you’d need to buy a new one if you wanted to get back to the original set up.

cobbdu1
    Free Member

Will I get away with an unramped chain ring with no chain guide given that I have a clutch rear mech?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Anyone tried to order a works components chainring there-I can’t see a way of selecting what size is required?

epictrail

Have a look at the North Shore website. They do what you need 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 dilemma. HELP!’ is closed to new replies.