Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 1 x 10 CX with Shimano rear derailleur?
  • jlc
    Free Member

Looking at going to a 1 x 10 setup on the cross bike for the winter cross series. Going to get an absolute black narrow/wide chain ring but use it with a shimano 105 rear derailleur? Read somewhere you need to change the spring tension. Any help / advice / experience would be very much appreciated.

john_l
    Free Member

Try it without first – I found that the n/w ring is enough to hold it.

nickwatson
    Free Member

N/W chainring is all you need for a hardtail MTB, CX or road. Difficulty is finding the right size chainring!

jlc
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help so far, do you need to do anything with a shimano left hand shifter?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

It’s about a ten minute job to move the spring point.

john_l
    Free Member

Left hand shifter – just don’t run a gear cable through it.

cp

Don’t run a gear cable through lh shifter.

Spring mod is dead easy. There’s a guide in the park website, under rear mech overhaul i think.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Yeah,
    Ran the Absolute Black ring on a Shimano 105 setup last year.
    Did the spring mod and had no chain derailment.
    It is on the Park website and if you go onto the Absolute Black site there is a link straight to the info you need.
    Hope that’s of help.
    Thanks,
    Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Oh,
    Yeah,
    Just removed outer and inner cable from L/H shifter and had no issues.
    Max.

jlc
    Free Member

Thanks for all your replies so far. So it sounds fairly straightforward I guess. Anyone had experience of whether the chain stays on for Winter cross? I like the idea because of less mud clogging etc, but just want to check it works ok. The other thing is do you mount the ring on the outer or inner of a double chainset?

LS
    Free Member

My teammate ran the Absolute Black rings with Ultegra mechs and the spring mod all through last season with no worries, and we had some really muddy races to contend with. He’s an ex national champ so gives the bikes some beans!

bigrich

running a 105 raceface 1×10. haven’t done the spring thing. no derailment.

davidjey
    Free Member

Hope retainer ring + short cage 105 r mech with no spring mod here. Seems absolutely fine. Only time I’ve managed to derail the chain was by not lifting the bike high enough over some planks and thwacking the rear wheel into them.

Only started running this in the summer though, so can’t comment on it’s mud performance yet.

jlc
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help. I’m mounting the ring on a giant tcx and present double chainset. Should I mount it to the outer or inner ring?

jonk

Got the superstar NW ring with an Ultegra rear mech and 11-32 cassette and had no chain drops in a few months of riding. I did so the spring tension mod and locked off the left shifter but all is good so far. I do use a small plastic chain keeper just in case.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Also running mine on a TCX.
    Mounted it on outside and no trouble at all.
    Max

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 CX with Shimano rear derailleur?’ is closed to new replies.