Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 1 x 10 conversion…..what kit
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Got a hardtail recently that I fancy converting to 1 x 10. It’s currently shimano deore 3 x 10 with 11-36 cassette. Sooooooo what do I need to do this?

northernmatt

Chainring & bolts, that’s about it.

wrecker
    Free Member

It depends. You have two options I think.
    The first is to pop a chain device on and basically crack on, the second is get a clutch mech and narrow wide chain ring. You might need a new cassette, you might not. I’d try it out before I bought one.

I have a cheap but decent E13 chain device if you’re after one, but personally I’d go with the clutch and NW chainring.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rumple
    Free Member

narrow/ wide chainring and clutch mech.

dday

Raceface Narrow wide 32t, or 30t if you want the going to be a bit easier. Its compatible with your cranks.
    A clutch mech (you may have that already or the Deore?)

Done.

pete68
    Free Member

You may not need a clutch mech either. See how you get on without. I’ve got a narrow/wide chain ring, standard shadow xt mech and 11-36 cassette on my hard tail and only lost the chain 2 or 3 times since I put it on back in April. I think it depends on how and where you ride.

dday

@Pete68

Agreed, a hardtail you could get away with it, but not on a FS, you’ll need a chainguide or a clutch.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok, riding is just xc, no dramas. I have a standard slx rear mech. What ratio front ring is ideal?

bigbloke
    Free Member

AlexSimon

bigbloke – Member

Ok, riding is just xc, no dramas. I have a standard slx rear mech. What ratio front ring is ideal?
    No single answer to that. Depends on a lot.
    With a 36t being your smallest at the rear, I’d be tempted to go 30t (that’s what I’d do, but I’m a spinner) or 32t on the front.

dday

I think with a 30 on the front, you would loose your current top and bottom gear. Might be wrong on that, as AlexS mentions, depends. Especially if its a 26,29 or inbetweener.

pete68
    Free Member

@dday, that sounds like sense. However the op did say that it is for a hard tail so it may work for them.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok it’s a 29er, no big climbs locally only a couple of hills that go on a bit.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Will I need new bolts too?

legend
    Free Member

bigbloke – Member
    POSTED 32 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Remove two rings, keep the middle one with a top guide – go riding. If the chain falls off a lot look at a ‘proper’ (non-ramped) ring and a clutch mech – there’s every chance you’ll be fine though.

You will probably need short bolts too

bigbloke
    Free Member

Well I took all your advice onboard. I fitted a narrow wide Raceface 32t chainring, some single chainring bolts and shortened the chain. I did however leave my standard slx mech on. Rode 47 miles today just xc type stuff with absolutely no issues, very happy with it all. Simple, less kit to maintain and saved 470g losing all the geared stuff. Thanks people.

weeksy

Less to maintain? Yeah, changing that inner once a year takes almost 8 minutes.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I meant cleaning, fussing that kind of thing. Actually the middle wears out long before the inner in my area. Cheers though.

cliffyc
    Free Member

I just removed big/granny chainrings,used outer bolts with fibre washers (to pack them under the nuts). I added new SRAM chain from spares box so cost nothing to convert up to now. Will probably add Hope T-Rex 40t I bought,running 34 x 36 gearing and no chain reention. Will add Hope thick/thin chainring along with T-Rex at the back for bling. No chain shipping so far. Very pleased with set-up and can’t see me going back to 2 or 3 x anytime soon… 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 conversion…..what kit’ is closed to new replies.