Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • 1 x 10 / 11; why such small chainrings?
  • flashinthepan
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, I like 1 x 10 / 11 systems. But why are chainrings so small?

Assumptions:
    27.5 wheel with 1.5 added to dia for tyre (i.e 29″ dia)
    30T chainring
    Cadence of 80 rpm

Speed with various sprockets:

50T: 4.1 mph
    42T: 4.9 mph
    10T: 20.5 mph
    11T: 18.6 mph

Who wants to travel at 4 mph?

And aren’t those top speeds going to limit?

Why aren’t we all running 34 / 36 or even 38T at front?

Even a 38 gives 5.2 / 26 mph with a 50T / 10T sprocket at 80 cadence

yacoby
    Free Member

I want to travel at 5mph when going up a steep climb at the end of the day.

I can’t ride a bike down hill at 20mph and still put in pedal strokes. Most of the time at that speed I am trying to stay alive (or get rid of as much speed as possible :P)

Basically like most of us a pretty meh rider

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Who’s selling a 30t eagle setup? Surely 32t would be the minimum ring size spec from a factory.

Essentially they are trying to give as big of a range as possible with the simplicity of 1x.
    34:10/47 is good for me for everything, but my wife needs 30:10/47 (or 2x) and I’ve friends who’ll pedal 34:11/40 all day long with silly elevation gains.
    Basically, wide ratio lets the rider choose where in the spectrum they want their by selecting their front ring tooth count.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mate has 34 on eagle, he was spinning away past me with 32 on a 42.
    Anyway down a hill the skills make the speed not the pedals. On a dead flat section no that bothered.

nickjb
    Free Member

4mph is fast enough when it gets steep. In fact I’m happy enough to be moving, ok I’d love to go faster but a bigger chainring won’t make that happen. Over 18mph off road and I’m probably going downhill so freewheeling and pumping (or more likely dragging the brakes). Only place a higher gear would be useful is on the road but I’m happy to compromise this for better off road capabilities.

If you want to try it then it’s very easy to swap the front ring. You don’t have to stick with stock or ride what everyone else is riding.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I am running a 34 ring, 42 sprocket, purely because I had the ring lying around when I converted to 1×10. It’s ok for trail centres and stuff, but for sustained steepness/techiness I’d need a smaller one. A 30t would give me more or less the same bottom gear as my old 2x setup.
    It’s not about the calculated speed anyway, is it? It’s gear inches that count

chiefgrooveguru

Who wants to travel at 4 mph?

I’d love to go faster up steep hills but sadly I have a finite power output and it’s only a few hundred watts!

With a top gear of 32:11 I’ve managed to pedal past 40 mph downhill – 80 rpm isn’t trying very hard.

I’m 32 oval/42 rear and wouldn’t want a higher low gear

russyh
    Free Member

The reality of ‘real rider’ use is that smaller chainrings with 1x setups are what people need to enjoy their ride and not worry about pushing up steeper or longer climbs. I would rather be slower and ride up than have internet bravado and a bit chainring only to push up a hill. As for too end speeds, to be honest it’s only an issue on fireroad descents and I try and stay off them. Doubt many normal people are pedalling 80rpm at around 20mph on a technical or even long descent.

I do like the fact that you can choose your gear ratios fairly easily now. When my current rings wear out I’m going up a chainring size and swapping out to a sunrace 11 speed cassette for better spread of gears

core

Simple answer OP – because not everyone is as orsumz as you, we all differ in fitness and strength levels, and some people don’t live by this ‘you’re better off pushing’ crap that gets spouted all the time, some people like to keep peddling at slow speed with an easy gear rather than push.

I did a mostly road ride on my 29er the other night, first 2 miles was almost flat, smooth road consistently, on 2×10, 11-36. In 38/11 I could quite nicely maintain 20mph, don’t see why I’d go slower if I don’t have to, and it got me to the trails faster !

bwakel
    Free Member

I think it’s an interesting reflection of how bikes and riding have changed. When I started mountain biking proper back in 1989/90, it was all about how fast you could climb and racing XC. The bikes weren’t capable of doing much else but the novelty of having a bike that could go up steep off-road hills was, quite frankly, amazing. Since then bikes have got heavier and much more capable on technical descents and riding habits have changed. It’s now much more about enjoying challenging descents than covering ground and climbing big mountains. I have a 21lb carbon 29er hardtail that I ride mostly in Hampshire and the riding here is only fun at warp speed. On the hardtail I regularly hit 35+ mph and at those sorts of speeds you can get air on the smallest of trail features, which is all we have. As such I need the 39×11 top gear and I rarely use less than 39×26. There are only a couple of hills where I use 26×28 when I’m being lazy. A 1x setup with anything less than a 38t chainring would severely limit my enjoyment.

On the other hand, I use my 30lb full-susser in the usual technical honeypots in the Lakes, Wales, Dales and Peaks and I’ve rarely wanted for more than the 32×10-42 that the 1x setup offers on that bike. It’s a much more plodding climber, despite being remarkably efficient as full suspension bikes go, and the descents I tend to ride on it are generally technical enough that pedalling is all but impossible.

The type of riding that a lot of people do now means that you don’t need to be as fit as many of us were back in the XC racing days and that, combined with the increase in bike weight, slack geometry and bouncy suspension, means that a smaller chainring makes more sense for more people. I just wish there was more choice for us old XC die-hards!

Junkyard
    Free Member

what they all said its to winch up a dead steep hill

Mne is 30/42- though its a big steep from 30/36 tp 30/42- iirc I lost what was 2nd and 3rd gear on my x2 set up.

tinybits
    Free Member

I think it’s about where you ride and what you ride.
    I’m about to go out on my new 1×11 30:11-42 setup so I’ll let you know.
    Very muddy out there, suspect I won’t be on the ‘big climbs’ today but I’ll be surprised if I’m hitting 30mph on mud clogged trails!
    Bike is a giant Anthem 29er, riding on the mendips today.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Realised I hadn’t used my 30-11 gear (27.5 wheel) in a while, flat , slightly downhill fire road, was still too big of a gear.

I could quite easily run a 28t chain ring 1x (8 speed i reckon) with a 11-36 cassette and have all the bottom and top end I need. Wish my bike was designed around this. Be nice to have a cassette with 12 speed spacing,8 gears, could move out the drive side flange and have a better chainline. Better than a massive, expensive heavy cassette and rear mech just for those “what if” moments which are made up.

cookeaa

I use a 38t with 1×9: 11-32 on my CX bike, it works for that bike, as it’s rigid, light and intended for less technical riding, seldom use the 11t sprocket (normally on the road/flat), I do use the 32t sprocket for climbing and I’ll probably fit a wider range cassette at some point…

MTB is 32t with 11-40 (26″) and that pretty much suits my use… Translate that to a 29er and a 30t makes sense.

It’s worth noting back when I had multiple chainrings there were much lower and higher ratios available…

but why the obsessions with speed at a given cadence? Especially offroad. Nobody spins at constant speeds, especially up rock and root strewn hills.

I work off of gear inches, accounting for wheel size it gives a number you can relate to mechanical advantage…

The ability to turn feeble human leg newton’s into a bit of torque at low revs to get you up, over or round some particularly tricky bit of trail can’t be undervalued and you’ll only get that from a lowish ratio…

Realised I hadn’t used my 30-11 gear (27.5 wheel) in a while, flat , slightly downhill fire road, was still too big of a gear.

Really? I was spinning out quite a lot the other night with 32/11.

On the other bike, I use 32/9 on the flat quite often

theotherjonv

Error in the OP’s calc (and poss others) – the nominal diam is the diam with the tyre on, not without. So you don’t need the tyre size. Of course makes the actual size inexact unless you calc it accurately as we used to have to with old wheel rotation computers. Hence a 29er wheel is really an ISO 622mm ID rim – and 622mm is actually 24.5″

pi x diam x ratio x rpm x 60 = speed in units/hr (whatever units you use for diam)

So to the OP’s post; a 27.5″ wheel is nominally 27.5″ = 0.7m; hence in 30:11 at 80rpm; speed is 3.14 x 0.7 x 2.73 x 80 x 60 = 29km/hr

But 80rpm is hardly shoving along, I ride normally at about 95, which is already 20% faster = 22.5mph, and can do 120rpm for periods which would be 50% faster = close on 30mph.

Plus I ride a 29er so that’s another 5%

And in any case as noted above once I get going anywhere near that fast I’m usually trying to slow down not speed up.

brant
    Free Member

Eagle goes down to 30t fwiw

FC XX1 EAGLE 24MM 170 GLD 30

qwerty
    Free Member

I thought Eagle was for Pros like Nino to enable them to push a 38×10 and still get up the hills.

tinybits
    Free Member

Well I now know that 30×11 on a 29er can easily make me go fast enough to make my eyes water. Dunno what actual mph was however off road, that’s enough for me to be braking on most surfaces so I’m happy with that! Also used the 42 granny to get up the mx tracks in the quarry and through some hellish mud so also happy with that.
    So, the low gears work because I’m a wuss and unfit. Happy days

maxtorque

How many people on here can pedal a modern, slack, widebar’d “Enduro” style MTB along even a flat road at more than 20mph for any length of time?

On a road bike, which is heavily optimised for aerodynamic drag, you can pull tall gears, on an MTB, unless you are a very very fit athlete indeed, you’r going to be doing less than 20mph when pedalling!

I can alway use a lower gear, but unless i get legs like Chris Hoy, i’m sadly never going to need any taller ones….. (32/50 here btw)

scotroutes

Unfortunately, 1x is being promoted across the board, not just for the style of bike for which, as you pointed out, it is most appropriate.

Even discounting the more “XC” style of mountain bikes, there are lots of 1x gravel/CX bikes showing up now, with a fairly aero riding position and the likelihood that faster road/gravel road speeds will be achieved.

chickenman

And when you’re actually sat on your bike the wheel diameter shrinks by at least 40mm! Not easy to calculate. I’m a fan of the “Stealth Granny Ring” so I can run a standard 11-36 10 speed cassette and have a really low gear for those really long steep 600m climbs. Run a 30T chainring; CBA with riding fast along roads anyway.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I look forward to seeing OP at the next Olympics. He wants a bigger chainring than Kulhavy so with a couple more years training under his belt he’ll dominate everyone.

Northwind

flashinthepan – Member

And aren’t those top speeds going to limit?

The highest gear on my dh bike was 36/11, and that’s pretty typical at pro level too. So, no.

On the flat, it can come into it a bit, and if you’re building a bike that does a lot of road bashing then that’s something to take into consideration. But My 1x drivetrains both let me do the road riding I do on them, very happily.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It’s all about choosing a chainring and cassette combo that works for where you ride.

I’m trying 1×8 with 34T Ringmaster and 11-30 cassette, for road riding with my FatNotFat wheels and doing ~75min rides with ~900+ feet of semi-evil hill climbing (up to ~13.5% gradient).

Now my fitness has improved, I dont touch 1st gear at all and second only gets a brief look-in on the two worst local hills. I can easily “redline” at 120+rpm heading down the hill to Northam bridge in 34-11 doing ~32+mph, so in some respects, a larger chainring would be handy (but official 1×8 n/w chainrings are like hens teeth).

But off-road, especially if I fit the fat wheels, a larger chainring might risk me having to get off the Wazoo and push uphill.

zerolight
    Free Member

I’m on 11-42 with a 32t oval. Sometimes I wish I had another gear on a long steep climb. Conversely I’ve never spun out the pedals at top speed whilst off road, though of course it is easy to do on road, but I have a different bike for that purpose. This year I will change to 11 speed 11-46 or put a 30t up front for those brutal Climbs.

Where I cycle, we hit a max speed of 50km/hr and an average of 16km/hr so the gearing ranges of a typical 1x setup seem perfectly fine.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Its because modern mountain bikes are crap at going up hill and are designed to go down fast. They are terribly inefficient machines in many ways.
    Throw in the fact that fashion is the big thing and you end up with something that does a job but badly.
    (runs from the abuse) 😆

Northwind

mattsccm – Member

Its because modern mountain bikes are crap at going up hill and are designed to go down fast

Except for the XC bikes, which are faster at going up hills than ever before, and still often use 1x.

TBH it all feels like logical conclusions. I was relatively early at putting a 22-36 setup on a trailbike and at the time, the standard response was “Oh you’ll miss all the big ring gears”. It took an awfully long time for a lot of people to understand how few gears you actually lost, it was unintuitive.

But then that started to catch on, and dual rings became mainstream, and triple became a niche (and still a valid one)

And then the wide cassettes came along and started nibbling at it from the other end, in much the same way- people still say “But you lose all those gears!” and the response is, well not really, my highest gear is equivalent to an 11/35 and my lowest is 30/42 which is about equivalent to a 22/31- very nearly the same as what was on my first doubles. So all I’ve really lost is overlaps and some narrower ratio gaps.

Mostly, it’s just hard to intuit exactly what the differences are. When I built up a new XC bike a couple of years back, I just automatically made it 2x. It wasn’t til a few rides in that I realised I would be just as happy on 1x on that bike.

swanny853

there are lots of 1x gravel/CX bikes showing up now, with a fairly aero riding position and the likelihood that faster road/gravel road speeds will be achieved.

I had a double on my cross bike for this reason and because ‘that’s what you do’. Then I realised the it was pretty rare I actually topped out the 46 big ring. Switched it to a 42 single ring on 11-36, lost a little bit at the top, gained a bit at the bottom. Can still get it up to 30mph, over that and I start to feel like my knees may melt! 10-42 would buy me more at both ends.

Admittedly a cross bike is an odd one as the chainrings tend to be pretty close anyway but it’s a much ‘better’ bike for me- clogs up with mud a lot less.

I’d probably even bung wide range 1x on the tourer (which is a singlespeed commuter most of the time) instead of 2×10 if I could afford to stick a SRAM cassette on it.

Andy-R

Well, I’m using a 26T Absolute Black elliptical chainring and 11-40 cassette on my LV 301. It does what I want, I couldn’t give a stuff about higher gears for flat stuff or on the road, because I try not to ride those places anyway.
    I did have it set up 2×10 but soon realised how much I’ve started to dislike front mechs, mostly because of all the crap they collect.
    I was out on it on Thursday and realised just what a good setup it is for what I like to do – that’s everything, the gearing, forks, the whole thing. Just brilliant!

mcnultycop

I dream of 4mph uphill at times.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

core – Member

Simple answer OP – because not everyone is as orsumz as you

Core – don’t believe I ever suggested I was ‘orsumz’

OP here, just let’s get a few things straight

1) I’m not ‘awsome’ nor am I gunning for the Olympics. I’m 46 years old, been cycling for many years and am reasonably fit, though by no means at any sort of competitive level

2) My two bikes are an Anthem and a fat bike. Both are excellent climbers. For different reasons both keep excellent rear traction and allow use of bigger gears (uphill) as the rear generally doesn’t spin. I tend to use this method rather than spinning to the top in a very low gear

3) My riding is in the Chilterns where there are plenty of steep slopes – though there’s nothing super long. I also ride Swineley a lot where there are NO long climbs and nothing terribly steep

4) Appreciate others use bikes less suited to traveling uphill on steeper longer climbs

5) What suits me won’t suit everyone else and, of course, it’s your choice what you choose

I guess what I’d like would be a closer ratio 11 speed cassette – say 11-36 (11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36????). I don’t believe such a cassette is available (road cassettes top out at 32?)

simondbarnes

3) My riding is in the Chilterns where there are plenty of steep slopes – though there’s nothing super long. I also ride Swineley a lot where there are NO long climbs and nothing terribly steep

Well there we go then. Lots of us have proper hills to ride in 🙂

I guess what I’d like would be a closer ratio 11 speed cassette

Sram do an 11spd 11-36

chiefgrooveguru

For different reasons both keep excellent rear traction and allow use of bigger gears (uphill) as the rear generally doesn’t spin.

It’s often smaller gears that cause you to spin out, due to increased torque at the wheel – but some riders struggle with big gears and traction due to uneven power impulses.

It’s easy to climb small hills with big gears – my local riding around the South Downs means I’m fine with 32:36 on 27.5 as my lowest gear. If it’s steep I just put more force in and I can tolerate pushing very slow cadences. Long and steep climbs are more challenging and would definitely justify some lower gears.

jamesoz

I tend to run 34 or 36 on 650b with 11-42 and before that 11-36. I prefer a taller gear on the modern bike with its low bb because spinning on fast rocky stuff can end in broken toes or OTB.

TiRed

Cross runs a 38 on the front. Off road I have an 11×32. On road I swap for an 11×23. In the relative flatlands of Surrey, the road cassette is pretty nice and leaves me two spare gears when cruising at about 30 kph.

Off road, the 32 is still a lot lower than my singlespeed, but it is very easy to understand that outside an adrenaline filled race around a relatively flat field, a lower gear of at least 1:1 would be nice.

jonnyboi

I have three chain rings that I swap out depending on the ride. 32 for general use, 28 for endurance races with lots of climbing and 36 for flat fast stuff

scotroutes

I have two chainrings that I swap out depending on the terrain.

I carry both with me and I have a natty little lever on the handlebars that lets me do it without tools.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 / 11; why such small chainrings?’ is closed to new replies.