Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 1 x 10
  • chris-p
    Free Member

I am currently riding 2×10 ( 2013 ) xt cranks with an xt 11 32 out back and an xt rear mech ( clutch ) . I am changing to a rotor q rings 34 with an xt 11 36, will i need a chain device or will the clutch handle things, do i need new chainring bolts or will the current xts work ?
    Thanks
    Pippy

discoduck
    Free Member

I don’t want to be barer of bad news but I’m looking into this myself and have learnt this week that my crank won’t fit in the 1X set up due to drive line ?

I’m on 2013 a a XT two up front ?

So if any ones looking to upgrade or even downgrade to 2X it looks like I’ll be needing new crank arms so I fancied the new Race Face Turbines ?

Shouldn’t need a chain device ? Are you going to use a narrow wide front ring ? Also aren’t you going to do the Hope 40t conversion on the rear ?

chris-p
    Free Member

I find that hard to believe if you currently have the latest xt 2×10 set up, who gave you this bad news ?

the rotor q ring is not narrow wide but should be fine with the clutch rear mech.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    discoduck
    Free Member

My mate, he tried this and ended up blowing over a grand on SRAM stuff in a moment of madness, which he tried to explain as passion ?

Maybe I / we haven’t got the latest XT stuff then ? Of course I saw it and wanted it then realised I could go the hope route at a fraction of the cost but was still bamboozled by the single ring up front, I suppose I could try it and see what occurs or I could wait for some one who is entirely sure to correct this for the both of us.

Jamie
    Free Member

Chris. Ignore Discoduck, he appears to have caught the sun.

Have a read of this post, which will explain why there might be some tiny/sod all issues with running a double chainset 1x.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chain-line-on-1×10#post-5777579

You will need shorter chainring bolts:

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/id-cromo-chainring-bolts—single-speed-double-and-extra-large-128-p.asp

I would run the clutch mech and see how you get on. Personally, I am running a SLX clutch mech with a RaceFace N/W ring and that’s been enough.

gee
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. Won’t work as well as dedicated 1x cranks but it’ll be fine.

BCD is 104mm so any ring will fit.

GB

discoduck
    Free Member

Well, after reading that I’m no more informed than I was before I read it ?

It works kind of ? But it might not and if it does it will be noisy ?

And the noise will be what the chain and ring wearing ?

Question is do I do this with just over a week to go before a 10 day Alps trip or leave it till I get back.

sillyoldman

The chainline is wider on the doubles vs the triples, so just space the chainring in a couple of mm. Works a treat. Chainring spacing shims are readily available.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/390/cridsd/id-outer-chainring-spacers.html

velomanic
    Free Member

What sillyoldman said, I used 2mm spacers and some 8.5mm chainring bolts as the original XT bolts only just threaded together.

willv

I just put a raceface n/w on my xt 2x chainset with the bolts that came with it. Seems fine. A bit of noise in 1st gear at the start.
    Funnily enough when I went to put a new chain on it made a helluva noise. Weird. So just left it

sillyoldman

Aye – think I had to swap out the nut/female part of the bolts for longer ones to allow some overlap into the spider.

njee20
    Free Member

I ran 1×10 on an XTR Race double (outer position), it worked fine. Chain line may have been a bit wider, but not enough to matter, didn’t bother with spacers or owt. Problem with that was finding an 88mm BCD ring, which isn’t an issue on the XTs.

Unless you’re getting the narrow wide Q-ring I’d definitely get a guide though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10’ is closed to new replies.