Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 1 week in the uk, now, where?
  • thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

‘evening!
    I’m hoping to spend a week (arbitrary, could be more/less) somewhere in the UK cycling (okay, mtb-ing, but I thought that was obvious 😉 ) as soon as possible. (personal reasons). Cheaper is better, so youth hostels are just dandy, my main concern is going somewhere where all the riding is still accessible and close by. My only form of transport is my bike and trains. I’m more than happy to link up a few places by train if thats doable as well! I was thinking wales, as Scotland has more increment weather atm, (as much as I’d love to do all the caingorms 🙁 ). Help and thoughts please!! Thanks, it’s really appreciated 🙂

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Bumped. South wales, snowdon area, caingorms seem the options?

l0key
    Free Member

if you’re looking at south wales, Cwmcarn/Afan/BPW all within train and ride from cardiff if you want trailcentres

http://www.riverhousebackpackers.com/ – place to stay

cmwcarn up the road from Cross keys train station

BPW accessible easily from Pentre Bach train station on Merthyr line –

Afan a bit more of a ride from Maesteg train station but doable –

ctk
    Free Member

YHA at Edale in the Peak district? Next to a train station. Loads of routes nearby. Pubs a good bike shop etc.

I know the Lakes less well but I guess you could stay up there in a YHA and have great natural trails and a couple of trail centres on your doorstep too.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I take it you’re not from round these parts. Where do you normally ride?

rickon
    Free Member

Scotland isn’t experiencing any more inclement weather than the rest of the UK. its actually been flooding a lot less up here.

Cairngorms will be snowy, and the wind gusts are up to 50mph, so I’d avoid that.

Snowdon… I’d seriously suggest checking conditions on the MWIS.org.UK site, you may be well versed in mountain conditions, but don’t just check the forecast for Llanberis. Wind chill, and strong gusts are a PITA above 500m.

If you fancy really good riding, relatively close to each other, Dumfries and Galloway is a great place to start. The 7 Stanes are excellent all weather trail centres.

So, Dalbeattie, Mabie, Kirroughtree are all very close to each other. Dalbeattie is a great place to stay, there’s a bunk house there.

solarpowered
    Free Member

Peak District (Edale is a fab idea) Full stop! It’s amaaaaaazing! Have fun 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

Swindon,MTB nirvana.

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Many thanks!
    I’ve been living in sheffield for the last sixth months, so been riding the peaks lots! 😛 & I’m off to edale youth hostel as a volunteer for a while this summer.
    Afan or Galloway sounds like the best bet, thanks all for the help 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘1 week in the uk, now, where?’ is closed to new replies.