Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 1-day MTB hire or tour near Cambridge/Ipswich/Norwich
  • tray
    Free Member

I’ll be visiting Cambridge from overseas for a month and being an avid mountain biker, I hope to do some riding. However, it’s impractical to bring my bike along, so I’ve been searching for a MTB hire/tours company in the area to no avail. I guess part of the problem is that I’m not familiar with the area and names.

So, could anyone kindly offer some suggestions? I don’t mind taking a 1-2 day trip to a town nearby, and it doesn’t have to be a difficult trail. An easy scenic ride would do just as well.

Thanks all!

BillMC

It is flat. I think an mob would be a waste of time unless you are prepared to travel a fair bit.

BillMC

It is flat. I think an mob would be a waste of time unless you are prepared to travel a fair bit.

fangin
    Free Member

A train out to Thetford Forest in Norfolk might be the go. There is a bike store that does MTB hire in the forest visitor centre.

It is flat, but the trails have flow.

fangin
    Free Member

But Thetford is a pine forest, so no exotic English scenery.

But if you head down to Epping Forest, which has no bike hire that I know of, this is a native forest with interesting history too. Muddy if its been raining though.

globalti
    Free Member

Hire a roadie, ride to a destination with the prevailing wind, have lunch then take the train back; the ride speed will be a big thrill.

theprof
    Free Member

If you want to stay close to Cambridge, have a look at Grafham Cycles near Huntingdon (1/2 hour drive west from Cambridge) – they hire proper MTBs on the side of Grafham Water – its approx. 10 miles around the lake on a gravel track, or alternatively head out west from the lake on the Three Shires Way for “proper” English countryside with a few hills, and a mixture of unmade tracks and village lanes. Very very muddy if wet though! Three Shires Way marked on OS map if you look at Bing maps.

stumpy01

Depending on your travel options when you are here, there is Bike Art at Thetford forest at the High Lodge visitor centre. The main guy there is a bit spikey to deal with, but they have a half decent selection of bikes and there are a couple of waymarked trails you can easily follow. There are plenty of off piste stuff to, but easier to find with someone,e to guide you round.

There is Grafham Cycling (part of the Rutland Cycling shop) at Grafham water. It’s an OK loop, but nothing particularly exciting. It’s around 8 miles round.

A bit further afield is Rutland Cycling at Rutland Water. There’s 2 shops, both which hire bikes; one at Normanton and one at Whitwell. The Whitwell shop is bigger (the Normanton is a Giant concept store). The loop is nice and scenic. You can do a loop without the peninsula which is about 17 miles or with the peninsula it’s 23 miles or so.

Alternatively, you might be able to hire a bike in Cambridge and have a potter about. There’s a shop called Ben Haywards in the centre of town. I’m not sure if they will hire bikes, but if not they’ll probably know who will.

Sandwich

But Thetford is a pine forest, so no exotic English scenery.

Very wrong it’s mixed pine and deciduous forest. Some of it mixed together but mostly blocks of pine or blocks of deciduous.

fangin
    Free Member

🙂 If we are going to be pedantic about it, I’m not _very_ wrong, just not as precise as I could have been. Indeed there are lovely non-pine bits in the forest. Though not all of them are deciduous – there is even a glade of eucalypts IIRC.

Sandwich

It’s STW hyperbole goes with the territory 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘1-day MTB hire or tour near Cambridge/Ipswich/Norwich’ is closed to new replies.