• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by P20.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 1 bike to replace 2! 29er v CX ,opinions sought……
  • JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Currently I have a carbon road bike,an older/winter road bike and a Giant XTC hardtail.

I`m thinking about rationalising my bikes and am selling the older road bike and considering selling the hardtail too.

Living in Hertfordshire most of my riding is over fairly open land,which may take in the odd bit of singletrack and often take in road sections too.Occasionally I ride at Swinley or Woburn,but that is about as technical as my riding ever gets.

So I was thinking of getting an
    “all rounder” like a lightish 29er hardtail or a cx bike which I could use off road in lieu of the hardtail but would also be used for the odd winter road ride,riding out with the kids,maybe the odd bit of commuting too in lieu of the old road bike too.

So with say a budget of around £1000 do I go for something like an On One Scandal 29er or would I be be better off with a cx bike.
    I also like the look of bikes like the Genesis Croix de fer,Cotic road rat and On One Pompetamine.

Thoughts?

fatmax

I’ve just had a similar scenario and have gone for a 29er Scandal…to be used for commuting, winter stuff, easy stuff in the Pentlands (outskirts of Edinburgh) – reckoned it would be a more adaptable bike.

takisawa2

I had an old road bike, SS HT (26″) & FS. Since building this…

IMAG0524 by pten2106, on Flickr

…the 26″ HT has been sold, the road bike has been out once & I’ve tried to sell the FS. I have a spare set of wheels, so the Inbred can swap between 1×10 * SS in about 15mins. SB8’s roll nicely on tarmac. Love it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fisha
    Free Member

Personally, I like the CX route … had a number of shots on various 29ers, but the CX bike is all round more fun ( to me anyhow )

I think though that I’m more road orientated these days, so prefer the bias towards road than off road that the CX give me.

boxelder

I’ve a cx bike and a 29er scandal and wouldn’t know which to sacrifice. The cx is fun for occasional ‘mountain biking’, but you wouldn’t want to rely on it.
    Scandal with rigid forks and two sets of wheels (one for cx tyres)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Genesis Day One Alfine, job done. Next thread, nothing more to see here 🙂

ampthill

I was out on those lanes (between Hitchin and Luton?) with a mate at the weekend. We were chewing over this issue. New bike for him with his wifes retirement lump sum

For him I think it was mountain bike, ironically as he hates descending even on those lanes. So I think a CX wouldn’t work for him. We saw a group on cx bikes and I can see the appeal on that terrain. But I couldn’t see myself (does that help?) enjoying Woburn on a CX bike

So after rambling I’d say 29er. Or you just have 2 road bikes, one with slightly wider tyres. Ludite view and I agree its a bit cheeky

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Interesting replies chaps.

Hmmmm,maybe the 29er would be more adaptable.My mate uses rigid Scandal 29er his with slicks for commuting,puts a rack on for light touring,and even did a sportive on his.Woburn on the XTC was a little hairy,so maybe the CX may be a bit sketchy up there…..

Genesis Day one Alfine though,always liked the look of them but also seen good deals on 2011 Giant XTC 29ers.

That or get an On One frame bundle with wheels and forks and transfer my existing groupset over?

Argh,Choices,choices!

P20

I’ve got a Kona Jake the Snake on bike to work and I don’t get on with it. Just doesn’t feel right. It fits, it rides ok, it’s comfortable, I just don’t like or care for it. I’m looking at a 29er for a commuter instead. I’m going with the theory of if it being a mtb it should feel ok. My commute is mainly on old railway line

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘1 bike to replace 2! 29er v CX ,opinions sought……’ is closed to new replies.