Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Dwarves?

Deadly Sins?

That incredibly annoying song by Lukas Graham

The forthcoming Apple iPhone?

No, none of these things…

7 is the number of Rockshox Reverbs I have now killed. My most recent one being finished off this Sunday on a 35 mile messabout in the Wyre Forest, with the milage on said bike having only just crept over 200 in total (the post was new at the time) in just over 5 weeks of use… A record even for me, the self proclaimed “Reverb Reaper”.

So what will I be replacing it with? Well having gone through this connundrum a while back, there is only one answer… Another Reverb! Can’t abide the cable actuated droppers, they feel so clumsy and Heath Robinson where a functioning Reverb is so smooth and so well controlled and the remote integrates so beautifully with SRAM Guide brakes.

Here’s hoping that the SRAM Tech guys see fit to send me another new post (hopefully the new updated, supposedly more reliable, version) as soon as possible. So I’ll quit my moaning, and ride my Hardtail instead whilst the lovely SRAM tech guys sort me out with hopefully, the most reliable Reverb seatpost the world has ever known!

momo

And I thought I was bad having killed 4!

Currently waiting patiently – 4 weeks and counting – for word on my latest one…

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Cheeky answer but maybe its you? Have 3 no issues….

onandon
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/VOaZbaPzdsk[/video]

simondbarnes

I’m so glad I still have a normal seatpost. I haven’t got the patience to pay for the privilege of performing product development for a company.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My (silver collared) one is still going!

Needed a new hose in that time, and probably only done ~1000 mosly dry miles, but still going none the less.

nickc

what do you do to them?

I’ve had one…

reev
    Free Member

Another silver collared post here. Needs quite a bit of force to get the post to go down (I’m assuming it just needs a bleed), but no issues in the 4 years I’ve had it.

mboy
    Free Member

what do you do to them?

Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

My (silver collared) one is still going!

After the disaster that was the silver collared version, I was put off trying another for more than 12 months! That means I’ve killed 7 in probably less than 3 actual years of trail riding, and given for 18 months of that at least I was doing more road than MTB, well…

I’m so glad I still have a normal seatpost. I haven’t got the patience to pay for the privilege of performing product development for a company.

I’m so glad I stuck with Reverbs, as functioning properly they really are an awesome piece of kit. I’ve got 2 MTB’s though, so when one is out of action, I can jump on the other, and I keep a rigid seatpost spare just in case the worst happens and both Reverbs are broken.

I’ll grant you it’s annoying, but the way I see it is they’ve had some of my money, and as long as I keep breaking their products within warranty period, they keep sending me brand new replacements.

Cheeky answer but maybe its you?

Just bad luck I think, I’m not especially heavy at 80kg, I’m not doing anything untoward to them (such as picking the bike up by the saddle repeatedly) and they get looked after. Always bled perfectly, and use a bit of Fork Juice on the stanchion after cleaning etc. I think I’m the guy that just seems to get all the Friday afternoon posts!

cokie

Should have kept the T129! That Reverb has covered thousands of miles year round and it’s still working without any issues.

Sounds like you’re just unlucky. Isn’t there a new Reverb coming out?

maxtorque

I think you should visit the Doctor to see if you have an exceptionally heavy ass or something?? 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

How do they break?

mboy
    Free Member

They develop a bit of play, starts off only 2-3mm of up and down play, which gets gradually worse over a few rides. Then when it gets to around 10mm, the flood gates open and it rapidly becomes a glorified suspension post.

Northwind

Incidentally, not all silver collared reverbs are the ropey first gen, they released more silver collar models later on, just to **** with everyone.

mboy – Member

Can’t abide the cable actuated droppers, they feel so clumsy and Heath Robinson where a functioning Reverb is so smooth and so well controlled

I think you need to try a decent and properly set up cable post tbh, they’re functionally identical. Reverb orrible lever aside.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep own a lev and a reverb, the lev is better in every way really. Just need to refit it after some swap around. The lever is lighter and easier to use, it’s smaller less in the way and simpler too. Maybe you should try one properly

Spin
    Free Member

shermer75
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmX_GgozpQs[/video]

kayak23

How do you clean the bike?
    Two reverbs for a few years now, apart from a little play, very little issue so far.

rudedog
    Free Member

Mine is also silver collared and was 4 years old in Jan.

nickc

Maybe you should try one properly

Can you use a uppy-downy post incorrectly? 😕 😆

10/10 for passive aggressive posting about bike parts though…good job!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the words set-up should have followed probably, I was posting and eating breakfast.

Can’t abide the cable actuated droppers, they feel so clumsy and Heath Robinson where a functioning Reverb is so smooth and so well controlled and the remote integrates so beautifully with SRAM Guide brakes.

Just dismissing cable activated as crap sounds like not trying them, deciding not to like them or having one really badly set up.

My lev integrates into the lock on grip, it’s too small to need integrating into the brake lever and just works.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My lev integrates into the lock on grip, it’s too small to need integrating into the brake lever

People talk about that like its a good thing, yet KS felt the need to redesign the southpaw lever into one that actually works…

The standard lever felt like something a chimp designed, it’s even more un user friendly than the reverb remote, and the cable repeatedly got in the way of the brake.

Southpaw lever is good though.

id rather have a reverb with a southpaw style lever (from RockShox, not an aftermarket design).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well it suits my mangled thumbs 😉

Yetiman
    Free Member

mboy – do you think the offset seat tubes on your Evil frames could be part of the cause? For the more recent failures anyway, as there must be pretty high side loadings on the post with this type of design?

kimbers

! Can’t abide the cable actuated droppers, they feel so clumsy and Heath Robinson

And yet the KS southpaw is the best lever in the business and makes the reverb look and feel so wrong

jimmy

My cable-actuated Thomson is as smooth and infinitely more reliable than the reverbs I had. I’ve heard stories about them but it had been a great bit of kit so far, i was even thinking last night how i like the lever a lot too.

Alex

I’ve had one fail that had been sat in storage for a while. Might have been a bit damp. SRAM replaced that one. Had similar issues to the ‘deadly droop’ described above on others but have a mate who can fix them by resetting the oil level in the IFP. Good videos on the web (SRAM ones) but too complicated for my hands of ham to do.

I suppose it’s a single legged fork, so some kind of preventative maintenance might not be a bad idea!

Matt24k
    Free Member

The seat tube angle on the Evil frame does look extreme. Maybe it’s just the pictures but the load is going to be at a fairly steep angle.
    Out of interest how much do people weigh that have had no issues with their Reverbs. I never had a problem with mine until I lent it to someone 2 stone heavier than me.
    I am just over 11 stone so probably at the lighter end of the spectrum.

kayak23

Out of interest how much do people weigh that have had no issues with their Reverbs.

*Blushes… A gentleman never tells.

Just the right side of 13 stone. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Out of interest how much do people weigh that have had no issues with their Reverbs.

16st7lb

Go eat some pork pies, clearly need some more weight to keep it compressed 😉

woodster

Sram have clearly worked out it’s cheaper to have a decent warranty set-up than build anything fit for purpose. Everyone will tell you how good their warranty is, but ‘d rather have stuff that just worked.

I run Reverbs because I can sell them after a year or so at a tiny loss and a lot of the competition is just as unreliable, but when Shimano bring out a dropper I will rejoice in being free of Sram tat on my bike.

burko73

Op is only 80kg but with a spare seat post, tools, flask and a massive lunch in his pack he’s nearer 100kg! 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

Surley when they develop some play thats a sign that some attention is needed !!! Why would you keep riding the post to destruction 😯
    Mines a couple of years old now, no problems at all, but it’ll get a service soon just like all the other parts on my bike.

scandal42
    Free Member

I have never had an issue with mine other than the 1-2mm of slight play.

I weigh 11st so maybe it’s just the pie monsters responsible 😀

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7…’ is closed to new replies.