Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 1 1/8th steerer in a tapered headtube
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Obviously I’d need an appropriate headset.

But is there any other disadvantages of this setup. Obviously I wouldn’t have the stiffness of tapered steerer, but is it any worse than it would be in a standard headtube? I’m assuming with correct instalation there would be no warrenty issues etc etc or ecess bearing wear?

fadda

I’m sure it’s possible to measure a difference, but you won’t notice it.

rOcKeTdOg

try putting them in upside down, you’ll notice a difference then

oliverd1981
    Free Member

don’t see why they can use massive bearings which would mitigate some of the “downsides” anyway

brakes
    Free Member

the disadvantage is that you will know that you have an inappropriate steerer in a tapered headtube. it will eat into your very soul.

Northwind

The advantage is, sometimes if someone else tries your bike they’ll tell you they can really feel the difference in fork stiffness from the tapered steerer it doesn’t have.

What’s your combo? It never bothered me either way but I do like the option of fannying-about-with-head-angle-headsets.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Marzochi 55s in an spesh enduro frame

As long as its not more flexi than my old heckler/55 combo then it won’t be an issue, as I didn’t find that particularly flexy in the first place

james
    Free Member

maybe the 1 1/8″ crown sat dwarfed under the 1.5″ lower cup could bother you. Mine looks a bit daft, though only a 32mm fork

Superficial
    Free Member

The advantage is, sometimes if someone else tries your bike they’ll tell you they can really feel the difference in fork stiffness from the tapered steerer it doesn’t have.

Lol

I’m running the setup you describe. No massive flex issues or headset problems. I’ve got a hope 1.5 lower headset just with a big fat crown race reducer to space it out.

Doug
    Free Member

If you have stack height issues then a e13 zero stack reducer in the bottom sorts that out. Takes a CaneCreek standard internal bearing. Crown sits pretty flush. Got one in my Prophet (1.5″ HT) to reduce the stack height for running 160mm forks, only about 15mm heigher than 130mm forks and an external bearing 1.5″ headset.

hugor
    Free Member

Means you can put in an angleset and slacken the front if you want.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘1 1/8th steerer in a tapered headtube’ is closed to new replies.