Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 09 Revelation question?
  • gizzardman
    Free Member

I’ve recently upgraded my 2008 130mm Revelation to the 2009 140mm version. I don’t think i have a problem but on my 08 fork when i pumped more psi in the neg it caused the stantion to lower. When i do this with the 09 fork it doesn’t seem to make a difference, no matter how much psi i put in?? I’ve also noticed that when in full 140mm mode it seems to give more than 140mm travel with at least 3/4 ” more showing past the 140mm line that’s printed on the stantion??

Any one out there with the new forks that could tell me how theirs are behaving.

stufield
    Free Member

my 09 revs had to go back as despite equal pressure in -ve & +ve and uturnwound out they got stuck at 110mm on the stanchions all sorted under warantee, they’re all lovely now never found out what caused it?

gizzardman
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback stu. Did they replace or repair them?

stufield
    Free Member

I think it was a repair, although the were brand new and never used in anger, they came out the shop like that, and just went back to shop and collected bike and thought nothing of it.

I’m loving the maxle lite compared to my quick release 08

gst
    Free Member

Hello
    My new revs went a bit past 140mm. I thought it was just an error with the marking. However I have had another problem with them.

After about 20 hrs of use air started to leak from top of the fork by the u-turn adjuster. Pumping them back up again didn’t help and they didn’t feel as plush so they’ve gone back to wiggle. Still waiting for them.

One other point you said the fork didn’t move no matter how much neg air you put in. Manual says neg pressure should never be 15psi more than positive air pressure. Don’t know why.

chakaping
    Free Member

Funnily enough I spent about 20 minutes tinkering with mine this afternoon.

I ran more neg than pos air on my old QR Rev, but as soon as I did it on these they sucked right down from 140mm to 110mm.

I’m also finding I need noticeably more psi than on my 130mm QR.

When set up as per manual they dived through travel and there was a knocking noise like a loose headset.

I weigh about 11.5 stone and I’m running roughly 150psi pos and 145psi neg. Rebound about three quarters on and floodgate almost all the way open. Mystery noise now seems to be gone and fork seems to ride great (round the garden).

There are some interesting set-up tips in this article by Benji of ST, which I found quite helpful…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2009/01/benjis-long-termer-genesis-alpitude/

gizzardman
    Free Member

I’ve just checked and i’m losing neg air pressure. I pump it up to 150psi and 5 mins. later it’s at 50 psi. These are going back for an exchange.

pjt201
    Free Member

gizzardman – Member

I’ve just checked and i’m losing neg air pressure. I pump it up to 150psi and 5 mins. later it’s at 50 psi. These are going back for an exchange.

Most likely they aren’t leaking air – it’s just the negative air chamber is so small when you attach the pump the air fills the pump space and you get a much lower pressure reading. It’s says that much in the manual as well.

gizzardman
    Free Member

pjy201, where does it say that in the manual, i can’t see it anywhere??

The neg. chamber IS losing air. Like i said i pump it up to 150 and 5 mins later it’s down to 50 psi. That’s nothing to do with the pump.

mildred

I’m 14 stone and run 150lb positive and 120lb negative. Not divey in the slightest.

I’ve found that a small amount makes a big difference in the neg’ side.

When I equalise the pos + neg they pull the forks down by about 5mm, so I always run a little less in the neg’.

One problem I’m having is the stantions always seem wet with oil, particularly on the daming side.

All in all a “revelation” compared the Manitou Minutes they replaced.

paulwf

gizzardman – Member

pjy201, where does it say that in the manual, i can’t see it anywhere??

The neg. chamber IS losing air. Like i said i pump it up to 150 and 5 mins later it’s down to 50 psi. That’s nothing to do with the pump.

How are you measuring that the pressure is down to 50psi?

pjt201
    Free Member

it is to do with the pump. Think about it, say the neg air chamber is 1 cubic centimetre in volume, you pump that up to 150 psi take pump off. reattach pump with chamber volume 2 cubic centimetres and initial pressure same as atmospheric, pressure from neg air chamber equalizes with that in pump and you’re left with 50 psi overall.

gst
    Free Member

When I connect my pump to the negative side I lose about 45 psi. 100 psi pressure drop when attaching the pump seems a lot to me. What pump are you using?

Manual recommends set up is done with the forks at full 140mm travel. Again don’t know why.

gizzardman
    Free Member

They’re being replaced. Oil’s now leaking from the neg camber and the fork is making a knocking so i think the bushings are shot. A friday fork me thinks. BTW It reads the same with 3 different pumps.
    PJT – I know you lose pressure from a pump but not as much as what i’m doing. The fact that the neg. cahmber’s leaking so much oil says’s it’s shot. P.S Can you explain why the stantion doesnt lowewr when i increase neg pressure over pos. Every RS frok i’ve owned with this feature does this.

gizzardman
    Free Member

gst – what’s your pm address?

gst
    Free Member

gstewart@ntlworld.com

chakaping
    Free Member

Not trying to start a scare or anything, but I’ve contacted CRC about sending mine back as well.

The knocking I thought I had eliminated later returned much worse when out riding yesterday. Had a similar experience with a Fox 36 before and it seemed to be down to manufacturing tolerances. A Friday afternoon job perhaps, like you suggest.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘09 Revelation question?’ is closed to new replies.