Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 06 Stumpy Main Pivot bearings
  • almightydutch
    Free Member

Whats my best form of attack with completely mullered 6802 bearings?

Short story, need to change the Main pivot and Horst link bearings as they are well past their best. To the point the main pivot had 5mm of movement in it. The bearing had virtually collapsed and upon dismantling it the remaining balls just fell out.lol. I’ve seen knackered bearings but this one took the biscuit.

Can anyone suggest a decent puller or will I be best off just getting the dremel out to cut a nice slot in the race to aide removal?

Also, I presume its a Spesh only to obtain a new axle for this main pivot and a new bolt for the rear horst link?

Cheezpleez

Think you can just press out the main bearings with a socket or similar.

Good luck with the Horst bearings. I made a split collet extractor from steel tubing (see Youtube for tips) which worked but was a bit of a faff

tmb467
    Free Member

main pivot bearings will come out with a hammer and screwdriver

horst ones need a puller

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

I’ve done a stumpy not that long back, and as above I believe you only need a puller for the horst ones and even then a home-made tool will suffice. I have a blind bearing puller and didn’t think it would fit TBH, as there not enough space between the two bearings. Admittedly the bearings didn’t fall to piece like yours, but you should be able to gain access to all the bearings with a hammer and screwdriver (even if you can only catch the outer race bearing track lip).
    If you really think you need a blind bearing puller, then this eBay one is worth looking at, as a starting point (no experience of this particular tool or the seller)

almightydutch
    Free Member

If the bearing hadn’t already destroyed itself I might have been able to use a socket as a drift but these literally fell out when I removed the swingarm. A socket went through ok, but pushed out the half mangled bearing cage and the inner lip seal.

So I’m left with the outer races left in the main pivot with very little in the way of a lip for the punch/screwdriver/chisel etc to get purchase on. I’ll give it the once over later when I get back to see how I get on with a hammer n screwdriver as a bearing puller will be a few days.

I’d looked at all the blind pullers and usually those cheap Ebay ones aren’t much cop but I guess worst case n all that as I’m not about to spend a fortune on blind puller just for this job.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Can safely report back that the outer races came out with the screwdriver. When I thought no lip it was hardened something in there, had to get a small wire brush on the dremel to clear it out.

Talking of the dremel, that came in handy when I noticed the inner race still on the axle. This was by far the worst off race of the bearings. Seemingly welded to the shaft and showing no signs of budging with the usual chisel/punch/driver/molesgrips, I decided on slicing it with the dremel. Not goin all the way through mind, before anyone starts. Quick final screwdriver tap and it cracked open. Tough to get moving to start with but eventually it came off. Quite corroded underneath so I’ll have to see how a new bearing fits when they arrive.

Choosing Enduro max as they have more balls and for a main pivot that makes sense right?

tmb467
    Free Member

Full complement bearings are recommended for Spesh pivots – so yes, the more balls the better

Ahem

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘06 Stumpy Main Pivot bearings’ is closed to new replies.