Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 05 Bontrager Race Disc Wheelset – Are the hubs serviceable?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As above really, the front wheel is barely turning so I thought I would take apart and see if the bearings are shot or just needs greasing. However the cones are certainly not like shimano, and I think… could be wrong that when I bought the bike back in 2005 that the hubs were sealed.. if they are does that mean I need a new wheel ?!?

Ta

This is the bike…

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/139

trekcol
    Free Member

yep,

pop into a Trek shop and they will show you some drawings/schematic and all parts are still available via Trek UK. Bearings are sealed cartridge type on a threaded axle..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Popped in to Chevin Cycles, Otley, and one of the very helpful mechanics showed me how to do it and gave me the tool required to do it in future.

Had really gone off Chevin in the last few years but might just get some more of my business now!

Didnt realise how bloody expensive the cartridge bearings would be though at £30!

slugwash
    Free Member

Hi Trekcol.

I’m currently taking apart my Bontrager Select MTB rear hub for a much needed service. I was going to remove the freehub and regrease the pawls as they’re a fraction sticky. However, I need an 11mm allen key for that and can’t get hold of one in our small town.

So, before I leave the wheel in pieces for weeks while I get around to tracking down the allen key, is the freehub serviceable? If not I’ll put the bearings back in and live with the sticky pawls.

Cheers.

coatesy
    Free Member

Slugwash, 11mm keys are pretty rare, good job that a 7/16th works out as the same size and are available from most tool shops.

shaggy

The Select freehub is not serviceable but it is replaceable, in much the same way as a Shimano hub.

slugwash
    Free Member

Cheers for that coatsey. Unfortunatley 7/16th allen keys are not very common in our local rural towns either. I’ve tried Agricultural stores, builder merchants and motor spares shops. I can get an expensive socket set attachment, but otherwise, anything over 10 mm is hard to come by and I’ve been trawling the recycling centres for old Whitworth sized tools. Looks like I’ll have to do the obvious thing and buy one on-line 🙂

PS I had the same problem tracking down a 12mm allen key a week or so ago when I was servicing my FSA rear hub.

coatesy
    Free Member

Usually get an adapter to fit an 8mm included if you buy a Trek freehub body(though they have been known to split on really tight bolts).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘05 Bontrager Race Disc Wheelset – Are the hubs serviceable?’ is closed to new replies.