Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 04 Mondeo Air Con Stopped working
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Driving home tonight my aircon just stopped working.

Since I bought it its not been as good as a new car but it has worked, and appeared to be working at least part way home.

I cant say I have ever notice a click or change in engine note which I have done on some previous cars with air con. So how can I tell whats wrong, what do I need to check?

Ta

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

bump !

docrobster
    Free Member

In what way is it not working?
    The air con on my 2001 puma packed up a couple of years ago. Would only blow hot air. Had to replace the whole unit in the end. Cost north of £300 iirc. Had to wait weeks for the part too. Was ok in feb, not so good in may!
    I would think you need to visit a garage

StuF

mine 04 mondeo gradually stops working every couple of years and just needs to be re-gassed, probably a small leak somewhere.

konabunny
    Free Member

“Apparenty” it’s a good idea to run A/C for a while every month through the winter as well – keeps the seals from drying out and stops leakage. Can’t promise that’s not rubbish though.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Could be a couple of things; system not charged with ac refrigerant, main fan not running or blown fuse (engine bay). Kwikfit normally do the guaranteed cooler or no fee offer so take it for refilling. If that doesn’t work then it’s the fan. On rare occasions it’s the clutch on the AC compressor which needs adjusting.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Docrobster, you’ve been robbed. It’s a well known fault with Puma, Fiesta and Ka that share the same heater control valve which when it fails sticks in the open position so can’t turn the heat down from full. The heater control valve costs about £15 and 30 minutes to replace.

johnners
    Free Member

it’s a good idea to run A/C for a while every month through the winter as well – keeps the seals from drying out

Yeah, 30 minutes per month. But that’s just what Ford say, what do they know, eh?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Turned out it only needed a regas!

Odd really seeing as though I could hear the air con click on. There wasnt a change in revs either so I had been thinking a more serious fault with the system.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The pump has sensors which detect pressure. Too low, wont cut in, too high, same thing. Probably pressure went too low and system wouldn’t run.

When the air-con is filled with gas, as few grams of oil are also added. This is circulated around the entire system and helps keep all the seals gas tight.
    I’d run the air-con for at least 10 minutes once a week to keep the oil moving.

molgrips
    Free Member

it’s a good idea to run A/C for a while every month through the winter as well – keeps the seals from drying out

I use it in winter regularly, when it’s really rainy and crappy, keeps car from steaming up.

Saccades
    Free Member

I use it in winter regularly, when it’s really rainy and crappy, keeps car from steaming up.

My similar era Focus sticks the air con on for me when it’s set to “clear windscreen” mode – which wasn’t good when the pollen filter was blocked to buggery. Now there is no filter it’s grand.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine goes to aircon (or rather, non-economy mode) when putting on the windscreen setting – you can de-select it tho.

therealhoops
    Free Member

Move to the North West. You never get more than 2days of ‘nice’ weather at a time so you’ll only need the heat function.

Scamper
    Free Member

My 04 mondeo was found to have small leak and eventually the compressor needed replacing after the air con failed twice. Unfortunately forgot to run it over winter at all, and it now needs regassing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘04 Mondeo Air Con Stopped working’ is closed to new replies.