Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 0% VAT on Protective Equipment
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Ordered from the states to the UK and now a “customs charge” bunged on top! thought they were 0% VAT, did I miss something?

jambalaya
    Free Member

0% VAT is different from import duty from outside the EU

ThePinkster

And you pay VAT on the import duty, just to add insult to injury.

poah
    Free Member

you get import tax then vat ontop plus an admin fee

simondbarnes

What the others said

CraigW
    Free Member

What sort of protective equipment?

Bicycle helmets are zero rated for VAT, but only if it meets the EN or BS standards. And this is specific for cycle helmets, it excludes helmets sold as skate helmets etc. I’m not sure if it includes any full face helmets.
    And was the parcel labellled as a cycle hemet?

benpinnick

You pay VAT on the vatable elements – Shipping and duty. You shouldnt pay any VAT for a helmet on the helmet itself, but you’re relying on them using the right code for the product on the import …. seems improbable.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ jambalaya – It’s below the £135 FOB threshold.

It is a bicycle helmet. Was it marked as such god knows! Can’t get a straight answer out of any of the clowns, the usual we’re not responsible and nobody knows, give us your money and if your lucky we will respond when the holding limit has ran out! Oh yeah and a back dated notice using up 2 of the days for good measure 😆

sillyoldman

As CraigW says if it doesn’t have the EN certification, then it’s liable for VAT.

ie. if not intended for the UK, and not certified for the UK, then you pay VAT.

Some brands are physically the same product, but with different certification labelling, but some are different for different markets so that they can be lighter where the required certifications allow.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

It’s EN 1078:1997 compliant.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I imported 3 TLD D3s from Jenson USA cos they had a price glitch. Got VAT stuck on. Rang UPS provided the link to website and they removed the VAT. so get on the phone.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

They were A-typical government department apathetic and unhelpful, told me I could claim it back after I went to gov.uk>notice 143>section 3.6 to get the relevant form ****.

TBH outrageous sandy rubber glove treatment for their pleasure, they obviously don’t know who I am, or maybe they do!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Royal Mail were equally unhelpful with this stormy teacup, ring customs nowt to do with us mate….

Same old run around you get dealing with virtually all government departments where private sector agents are involved IME. It’s got that lovely unnecessary futile feel to it 🙄

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I feel your pain but if you where hoping for zero duty/tax the package should have been accompanied by all the appropriate documentation. I suspect the site/shop you bought it from did none of this ?

cookeaa

When you say “protective equipment” do you mean industrial PPE? Or bike kit (helmet, pads etc)?

As I don’t think bike kit would fall into a VAT exempt category…

Edit, just checked and “pedal cycle helmets” are zero rated so long as they conform to the correct EU directive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘0% VAT on Protective Equipment’ is closed to new replies.