Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • !0 speed shifter and block with 9 speed mech. Yep or nope.
  • TheSwede
    Free Member

and will a normal 9 speed x0 mech stretch to 36T. Cheers.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Curious about this myself. Saw a thread a few days ago that suggested it would work. Not had the chance to try it out though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think the mechs are a different geometry or cable pull ratio. We were talking about this on today’s ride. I don’t think it works.

I’d love to be proved wrong though! 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

PP’s right, unique cable pull on the 10 speed stuff, you have to use a SRAM 10 speed mech.

Northwind

Definately doesn’t work with Shimano. Don’t know about SRAM though

TheSwede
    Free Member

The pull is dictated by the shifter and there are no limitations to a mech’s movement across the block so I cant see why it wont work. Using sram shifter and mech by the way and I assume cassette brands and chain brands are cross compatible. Ordered everything except mech so I’ll either be buying a specific or telling you that it works.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I did wonder if it was the cable pull or the leverage ratio of the mech that was different. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was both.

Northwind, any idea exactly why the shimano one won’t work?

bassspine
    Free Member

apart from the different width of the chains making the jockey wheels not fit?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Did wonder about the jockey wheels too. Chainrings don’t seem fussy so guessed that jockey wheels would be ok too.

Northwind

mrblobby – Member

“Northwind, any idea exactly why the shimano one won’t work?”

They switched to a new cable pull ratio closer to SRAM’s. While saying at the same time that obviously SRAM’s approach isn’t better than their old one 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Doh! I’d forgotten about that. Thanks Northwind.

Will stick a 9 speed x0 mech on my 10 speed x9 setup when I get the chance and see what happens.

njee20
    Free Member

It won’t work. There are 4 cable pull ratios for MTBs, I can’t believe we’re still having to do this!

1. Shimano 9 speed
    2. Shimano 10 speed
    3. SRAM 9 speed
    4. SRAM 10 speed

They are not cross compatible without bodging. If mechs weren’t fussed about cable pull you’d be able to mix SRAM and Shimano mechs, which everyone knows you can’t.

mrblobby
    Free Member

So is both the amount of cable pulled by the shifter AND the amount the mech moves for a certain pull of cable different on all four of those?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Come on njee, answer blobbys question and have you tried it?

njee20
    Free Member

No, its fairly straightforward… If your mech has a pull ratio of 1:1 and your shifter is 0.8:1 it’s not going to work, and personally I want my kit to work properly without having to bodge it. YMMV of course.

TheSwede
    Free Member

So does a sram 10 speed shifter have an actuation ratio of 0.8:1 ? No it’s still 1:1.

Exact Actuation
    When we launched our road technology from scratch we reapplied our MTB proven SRAM 1:1 actuation ratio (shifter cable travel : derailleur movement) for 10 speed rear shifting. EA helps to simplify/stabilize the uneasy act of balancing rear derailleur hanger design, tight cog spacing and exact cable tension. The result: the easiest index shifting system to set up and it stays that way.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Next question, is a shimano 10 speed block compatible with any 10 speed mtb chain or does it have to be the shimano HGX type.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I still don’t quite understand 😕

It says that the amount of cable pull is the same as mech movement, fine with this. So for 10 speed where the mech movement needs to be less than for 9 speed, I read this to mean that the 10 speed shifter will pull a little less cable than a 9 speed one. So basically the mech is the same (1:1 in both cases) and the difference is all in the amount of cable pulled by the shifter. So a 9 speed mech should work with 10 speed cassette and shifter (assuming no chain issues).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Meant to say that my assumption there is that SRAM 9 and 10 speed both use 1:1. I think this is correct.

tang
    Free Member

running a wippermann connex 10 spd on a xt 10sp set up with no probs. i know lookmanohands from here who is ex shop mechanic and can bodge most things could not get a 9sd mech running on the 10 11-36 block with the 10 sp shifter.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tang, do you know if it was SRAM stuff he couldn’t get working? Shimano definitely won’t work.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Good news on the chain apart from conex have a 5.9 pin length. The KMC X10 that i’ve ordered has a 6.2. The shimano is 5.88 so I think the speed KMC X10 maybe wont work with its pin length.
    I know Ian, do you know if that was sram or shimano he tried?

tang
    Free Member

shimano he tried to bodge. wipperman has been really fine through this winter on 1×10

TheSwede
    Free Member

Ah ha. That would explain that then. Still fingers crossed for sram.

mboy
    Free Member

When I asked a few questions about 9/10 spd compatibility a few months ago, the view then seemed to be that you’re more likely to be able to get SRAM 9spd stuff to work in a 10spd setup than Shimano, but by no means is it guaranteed to work.

The biggest problem you may have though is that 9spd mechs are only designed to work with a maximum rear sprocket of 34T, a 36T rear cog is likely to foul with it. Obviously the 10spd mechs have been designed to work with up to 36T sprocket.

Personally, I’d just buy a 10spd mech and sell your 9 asap in good condition. Save you a few hours of faffing probably, and you know it’ll work!

And as far as chains are concerned, of course you can use any brand on any sprockets, same as you can with 7/8/9 speed. Just make sure you don’t buy a 10spd roadie chain, as the cogs (and the chain) are narrower than on MTBs!

You ridden a bike with 10spd yet? Did you find it at all beneficial?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ll try and give it a go with SRAM this week unless anyone can say for certain it won’t work.

xc4pot
    Free Member

SRAM 9 and 10spd is not cross compatible, its a pain, if you want 10spd from any either sram or shimano, you have to get a new mech, cassette, shifter and chain. Chain rings are fine, although shimano want you to change over to the dynasys set up of 24/32/42 or double, as its how they designed it all to work.

the difference for the sram mechs, is the lenght of the cable mount (the black plastic bit you run the cable through) not tried swapping the 10spd one on to a 9spd mech.

SRAM has never been 1:1 its just alot closer than shimano 7/8/9spd was. quite day in the work shop we measure it all out.

But it does mean with everyone wanting to go 10spd, bike shops will be making lots of money!

Everyone should just stick with 7spd that was the best! (although 10spd XTR is close)

TheSwede
    Free Member

Mark, all 10 speed chains are not the same pin width. Shimanos HGX’s are 5.8, conex are 5.9 and kmc and others are 6.2. so I guess that may not all work on shimano 10 speed blocks. I may be wrong. You can buy 9 speed 12:39 blocks and I’ve looked at my mechs and recon they will clear. I’m going to run 1 x 10 so I want as bigger rear block as poss.

rustler
    Free Member

It also means bargain s/h 9 spd stuff for the less well off off / tight. ; (

TheSwede
    Free Member

Yeah may have some 9 speed X0 stuff for sale soon.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks xc4spot, saved me a bit of bother there.

Running 2×10 and still making my mind up on that. The way it’s going i reckon i’ll end up settling on 1×10 with a wide ratio cassette.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Cheers xc4pot. 10 speed mech ordered 🙄

scaredypants

somebody needs to make a decent but not extortionately priced 36t 9speed cassette and they’d clean up, with the current 1x? fad

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘!0 speed shifter and block with 9 speed mech. Yep or nope.’ is closed to new replies.