Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 0% credit cards – numpty advice required
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

what exactly does the ‘0%’ refer to on these enticing credit card offers?

say for example, you purchase an item for £1500 on a 15 month 0% interest card.
    Are you paying absolutely no interest for the entire 15 months provided you meet the minimum repayment each month, and have paid off the balance in full by the end of the 15 months?

What about subsequent purchases, say, 6 months later you buy something else for £500. Do the exact same terms apply for the remaining 9 months of the original term? Or are you not purchasing on the same terms any longer, seeing as you are no longer purchasing during the ‘introductory offer’ period, and therefore liable to pay a monthly interest fee on your ‘new’ purchase of £500?

Or have I misunderstood the whole thing, and does the 0% merely apply to a rolling monthly basis, ie, you pay no interest on any purchases during the 15 month period, provided the balance is paid off in full each & every month?..

Sorry if this seems dim, I just don’t quite grasp the credit card website terminology, although this is possibly what they want to occur..

john_drummer
    Free Member

from the day your account is opened, for 15 months, you pay no interest, just the minimum monthly payment or a larger amount to suit your own pocket. You will not pay interest on any outstanding balance until 15 months from opening the account.

If you have any outstanding balance at 15 months +1 day, you start to pay interest on it at their normal rate; purchases, cash advances and balance transfers may have different “normal” rates and they split the outstanding balance over the three as they see fit**

Some cards have X months 0% on balance transfers, Y months 0% on purchases. So if you do a balance transfer on day 1, you have X months to pay it off without paying any interest on it; if you do one on day 30, you have (X months – 30 days) interest free; likewise, if you purchase anything, you pay no interest until Y months from opening the account.

** may not be entirely true 😉

Make sure you check the “normal” APR for when the 0% finishes – if it’s much above 20%, shop around. And if you do do a balance transfer, make sure you close the original card account and destroy the original card. Do not start spending on it again, that would be a foolish thing to do, oh yes 😳

mrmo
    Free Member

usual is initial purchase or transfer will not be charged any interest. there might be a balance transfer fee though.

So if you buy a £1500 bike, it will cost you £1500, no interest, but read the small print. there may be late penalties and i believe some cards will start charging interest, i.e. you loose the interest free status if you miss/are late with payments.

daleftw
    Free Member

Is this the M+S card? I just got one and I got stumped by the terminology too 😆

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

johndrummer has most of the points covered.

I worked for ages on the other side of the fence on this – it’s hugely profitable for issuers as a significant percentage of punters think they can stick to the T&Cs.

Basically read the T&Cs carefully. The CC company wants to make a profit and is taking a small gamble on the 0%. On balance they win.

Lastly – every credit card you take out affects your credit rating – for someone with a 1/2 paid mortgage, a reasonable salary and no missed payments that’s not an issue – for someone on or near the verges that can be a big deal.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Make sure you check the “normal” APR for when the 0% finishes – if it’s much above 20%, shop around.

This part stumps me. All being well, lets presume ive paid off £1450 of the debt by the end of the original 15 month term. Does this mean I am now to pay 20%APR (16.9% on most card ive been looking at) every month until card is paid off. Therefore, 20% on a £50 debt. Or are we talking 20% of the full amount borrowed? 😯 ie, are there usually hidden penalties that can cost dearly?

but read the small print. there may be late penalties and i believe some cards will start charging interest

As far as I can tell, this is a very important point. But, I presume if you set up a minimum monthly repayment via direct debit, then you are never going to run the chance of late payment, you just need to be sure to pay the debt in full by the end of the cards terms?

Is this the M+S card? I just got one and I got stumped by the terminology too

Im looking at the Tesco one actually. The Mrs should love the extra club card points, until she works out how much I had to spend to obtain 300 points!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Lastly – every credit card you take out affects your credit rating – for someone with a 1/2 paid mortgage, a reasonable salary and no missed payments that’s not an issue – for someone on or near the verges that can be a big deal.

Ok, time to fess up. Im 3 months from finishing paying off my first ever credit card loan (in fact I could pay it off tomorrow from my current account).
    However, there’s a frame I simply have to buy. You know how it is.
    So, the plan is to obtain a new credit card now to cover this new purchase.
    Does cancelling my current card improve my credit rating, or does it always count against me having had the card in the first place?
    Will running two cards simultaneously for a short period of time make much difference or am I much better closing the current card first?

I thought id ask these questions as im really naive to how the cards work, and having spoken to Virgin (my current card) customer services on the phone, despite their happy disposition, im always left slightly more unclear as to whats going on after speaking to them.
    For example, I paid £1.87 interest on my balance last month. Why?!
    i’m led to believe it relates to purchase made months after the opening purchase. But im just not sure.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Does cancelling my current card improve my credit rating,

Yes. Generally. Available credit is cumulative and therefore negative for rating unless you’ve used it and paid off it off previously (generally speaking).

HOWEVER:

Will running two cards simultaneously for a short period of time make much difference or am I much better closing the current card first?

Where I worked it’s “at that instant” what is your credit facility vs your earnings / risks etc. that the ratings systems looked at. So – if you run over your ideal for a while and your not looking for a mortage this week / month then its fine. Cancel them if you dont need them.

#Edit In 2 months time it wont matter a damn if you had a credit facility today that you shouldnt have – so long as you paid them on time. /#Edit.

Apologies if that’s not all totally clear – its probably designed not to be all that clear tbh.

slimjim78
    Free Member

cheers for the advice.

Im still not sure why im paying a small amount of interest on my current card, but im loathed to sit on the phone for 30 mins to find out why.
    I think ill just be done with it and close it instead.

slimjim78
    Free Member

oh, one more thing i’d like to know.
    this is taken directly from Tesco (regarding purchases):

”Introductory Rate: 0% for 15 months from account opening
    Monthly Rate: 1.313% to 1.617%
    Annual Rate:16.945% to 21.944%”

So what’s the ‘monthly rate’ referring to? Interest to be paid per month after 15 month terms has completed?

Despite advice above, im still nervous that additional purchases after the opening month incur fees – as this seemed to be the message I was getting from Virgin. Could this be the ‘monthly rate’ mentioned above?

And ‘moneysavingexpert.com’ recommends ”If you’re a credit card tart using 0% deals, beware! If you fail to pay off a card in the last 0% month; you’ll be charged a huge whack of interest.”

Where does this ‘huge whack of interest’ generate from? Your final outstanding balance, or against the full amount borrowed?

As I mentioned above, what if youre left with £50 outstanding at the end of your 0% terms? whats the likely ‘huge whack’ going to cost you?

mdavids
    Free Member

Usually with 0% purchase cards, the 0% rate is only available for a short time frame e.g. 3 months from opening the card. Anything you purchase within this 3 months is interest free for 15 months (or whatever) from when you opened the card. After the 3 months, anything you buy will be subject to the full rate of interest and most importantly any money you pay off will go towards the things you bought at 0% first, not the things you bought at the full rate.

Its quite simple really:
    get the card,
    buy the frame,
    stick the card in a drawer somewhere and never use it again,
    make sure you meet the minimum payments on time every month,
    clear the balance before the 15 months is up,
    if you dont then you’ll start paying interest on whatever balance is left after the 0% runs out
    if you cant clear the balance before the 0% runs out, get a 0% balance transfer on whatever’s left

I’ve been doing this for years now and its a very good way of getting cheap loans, just dont balls it up.

kayak23

In relation to closing accounts. I heard somewhere on that there internet that its actually better to keep a fully paid off account/card open and unused rather than close it for your credit rating. I’ve always closed mine.

What’s the best?

theotherjonv

And ‘moneysavingexpert.com’ recommends ”If you’re a credit card tart using 0% deals, beware! If you fail to pay off a card in the last 0% month; you’ll be charged a huge whack of interest.”

Where does this ‘huge whack of interest’ generate from? Your final outstanding balance, or against the full amount borrowed?

Most likely refers to people who transfer a big balance or make a big purchase, pay the min 3% or whatever each month with the intention of paying the last amount in time and then forget and end up with a large proportion of the debt outstanding when the full rate kicks in. Sounds stupid, would never happen to us obviously, but that’s another way these deals work out for the card companies. As long as a few people crap out, they’ll cover the cost for the rest of us who can work a calendar properly.

But also beware the missed payment – in one instance I set up a DD, and then the cc company didn’t take a payment because they’d messed up at their end, and promptly put me back on full rate. “Because it was my responsibility to check payments were made on time”. Fortunately FD were able to show the CC company had cancelled the mandate in error and after a bit of back and forth the interest was cancelled and 0% reinstated.

spooky_b329

Having one or more credit cards improves your credit rating, as long as you always meet the minimum payment. You have a credit facility, and you are using it responsibly.

However, over the years we have built up a stack of un-used credit cards from various introductory offers, then it was mentioned to us that it would start to dent our credit history because we had so many cards, so we closed a load of the unused ones.

Finally, one of the tricks used to be that your payments paid off the balance in order of interest. i.e. you pay £50 off you balance, that £50 would pay off the balance with the lowest interest rate first, so it would pay off your new ‘interest free’ bike loan, and leave the £20 cashpoint emergency withdrawal on the statement at 30%APR. It would stay there, every month, until you cleared the bike payment. There seemed to be some sort of reform last year, and most of our card issuers sent us a letter saying that any payments would now apply to high interest items first, but we didn’t get letters from all of them. I’m sure one of our cards still pays off the low interest items first. Variations on this, are interest free balance transfer, then you do your shopping on the card, and have to pay interest on the purchase until the balance transfer is cleared, I’ve even heard of the payment protection you opted for, being debited from the card each month, and racking up the interest during an introductory offer on a balance transfer!

onandon
    Free Member

In the last 5 days I’ve picked up a cracking deal , 22 months interest free on transfers .

frogstomp

Be careful on the 0% transfers if you are also going to be using the card to make purchases. Often, any payments you make will first go towards paying off the debt on the lowest rate (ie. the 0% transferred stuff) meaning you will still be accruing interest on the purchases until the transfer amount is paid off.

kayak23

In the last 5 days I’ve picked up a cracking deal , 22 months interest free on transfers

Barclaycard? I’ve just got the same. Only a credit limit of 1500 though so didn’t quite cover my transfer..

onandon
    Free Member

Yep,Barclaycard.
    The application said £1500 max but they gave me £5700 as my limit.

I have no intention of making any purchases so I’m not really bothered about that side of things.

I have a card to boost my credit (not that it’s bad) I worked in the industry for a while and many people are refused larger credit requests due to lack of history.
    This at least means i have a history of reliable payment – even if it is only £20 a month interest free on my £600 transfer 🙂

Matt24k
    Free Member

One thing that has always troubled me about 0% balance transfers is the 3% transfer fee. If you are being charged 3% the transfer your balance of say £1000 you will pay a £30 charge. Lets say the 0% period is a year, to keep things simple. If you make all the payments on time and settle the the balance at the end of the year you will have repaid £1030 in total on a £1000 loan. Now call me old fashioned but that does not equate to 0% finance, it equates to an APR of 3%. Still cheap but not 0%.

jon1973
    Free Member

Just be aware that you are charged different levels of interest for different transactions. So purchases may be 0% but cash withdrawals and other transactions will incur interest.

The kicker is that you pay off the lowest interest rate first, so if you have a big 0% balance and you only do the minimum payment, and you incur interest on a different type of transaction, you will continue to incur interest on it until all your 0% balance is paid.

It can end up costing you a lot, esspecially if you use it for financial transactions @ 25%+ apr.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I see..
    It’s a little clearer now,thanks.

It appears ive been paying interest on smaller subsequent purchases, until my main initial 0% purchase is paid off.

I have no idea how long the initial 0% introductory offer stood for, I shall find out on my next card!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

The normal trick is probably been mentioned already but….

Initial £1500 is interest free for, say 18mths. You see a nice shiney frame for £500 and buy it on the card.

Whatever you pay off the card is coming off your interest free ‘bit’. So your £500 part is getting 20% apr applied every month until you pay off the £1500. That can ramp up pretty quickly. Even if you pay in £500 you think is covering the frame transaction it won’t be.

Use it once, then never use again if possible.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘0% credit cards – numpty advice required’ is closed to new replies.