• This topic has 52 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • 0-60 in a diesel – what am I doing wrong?
  • Kryton57

Twice now I’ve been had by inocuous looking other diesel cars, I seem to be slow off the line. 120d msport manual if it helps, sport mode engaged of course. Should be 7 ish seconds, feels more like 9.

amedias
    Free Member

what are you doing wrong?

0-60 in a diesel

^ that

(I predict this thread will not end well…)

bearnecessities

Oh, you’re kidding me?!

Pretty good though, I’m going 8/10. Enjoy 🙂

welshfarmer

Are you turning the DSC off. Your engine will cut back on the power as soon as the wheels start to slip. For a proper quick start in the Beemer, press the DSC once, get the revs up and dump the clutch. 7-8 seconds should be doable

Kryton57

Or use Sport + I guess, which does that. Good point.

Pretty good though

Rumbled already.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You are not SurfMat and I claim my five pounds.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Really? Are you 10 years old?

aP
    Free Member

Does it not have “Launch Control”?
    You’re north London, innit? Just remember lots of lawyers up there.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Really? Are you 10 years old?

No. He’s bored and trolling.

legend
    Free Member

Hand break on, in gear, revs on the limiter, clutch to biting bite, drop the hand break, drop the clutch, win.

tron
    Free Member

You may be getting caught out by automatics. The recent 8 speed autos do a very good job of keeping diesels in exactly the right rev range, meaning they’re noticeably quicker than the same engine would with a manual.

scotroutes

I’m just surprised your Dad lets you drive his car. Do you not have problems reaching the pedals?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Daffy

It could well be the clutch delay valve. It made my Z4 difficult to get off the line smoothly without care.

Google CDV delete E87.

blakec
    Free Member

Should have bought the 123d or 125d depending on year. Only diesel I have ever had that wanted you to keep it going past 3000 rpm as that’s when it really starts to go.

Also have you put huge rims on it as that will have an effect.

leegee

engine mounts knackered? sub frame bolts loose or suspension geometry off ?

Kryton57

I hope not it’s a 2.5yo car with 20k miles.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Maybe you’re just driving like a granny?

The quoted 0-60 times require you to switch all the “stuff” off and wring the cars neck. Almost abuse it.

They might be driving company cars or rentals.

Only time i got near to quoted 0-60 times is when we were testing 0-60 times. 15 or 20 attempts, back to back and you’d need to park up for 20 minutes with the bonnet open and the fan going flat out.

Don’t even know why people even care. In gear and rolling acceleration figures are far far more useful.

Rorschach
    Free Member

martymac

Maybe a 120d is only quick when you compare it to a 118d?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Yah it does feel a bit lag 0-60 even 320d

timc
    Free Member

Reality is 8 seconds is more realistic for this car & joe blogs driving, worth noting the bow’s have quite a linear power delivery & relatively tall gear ratios

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sub 5 in my impreza, how I miss her! However I would pwn you in my mazda estate sport as I’ve had that to 60 in 7. Loser 😆

P-Jay
    Free Member

Remember more torque than power, there’s no point taking it to the ‘redline’ in fact in most diesels first is a virtual waste of time, use first to get it moving clutch more important than revs, floor it in second and away you go.

poah
    Free Member

Maybe you were going up hill or maybe you just can’t drive like other bmw drivers?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Masterbati in 4.
    My hand, boys…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m driving a 2.0 Mundano diesel estate, 140bhp & I really couldn’t give a toss how fast it is off the line. All I know is that it does around 54mpg round the doors & & i can get a 3 seater settee in the back. 😆

scaredypants

I beat a 911 once, in a mini (4 up).

it’s all about the psychology, innit. He was racing but he got overexcited and stalled it

are you a loser ?

pondo

Remember more torque than power, there’s no point taking it to the ‘redline’ in fact in most diesels first is a virtual waste of time, use first to get it moving clutch more important than revs, floor it in second and away you go.

This. Had a day out in the company VW Caravelle this week, many people said “it goes really well for a van” – very disappointed with the auto box, it hung on to gears way too long, and the tiptronic thing downshifted if you planted the throttle. Damn sure the manual must be a load quicker, no point holding the gear till 4k when the party was over at 3.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Northwind

On track of course… Mostly it’s not about the vehicle, unless you have launch control. I did a couple of run-what-you-brungs years back, on a relatively slow motorbike but a good departure made enough difference that I could hold off much faster kit (because launching a light 80bhp twin is a piece of piss, and most people are too scared to really drop the hammer on a sports bike)

My mondeo should be able to get to 60 in the high 7s I reckon but in practice I’d just spin one wheel madly while taking a thousand miles off the life of the clutch and dmf so bugger that. Maybe if Crail introduce a “55mpg over 1/4 mile” bracket

sbob
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member

Remember more torque than power

pondo – Member

This.

Unless you can explain how torque has a component of time, you’re both wrong.

You need power.
    Like from a 4.9l V8 M5.
    That’ll feel quick.

zokes
    Free Member

@MWS:

…no, but you do get to where you’re going sooner, which is nice

agent007
    Free Member

Maybe it’s your observation? Are you just reacting and going as soon as the light hits green (which takes to by surprise) or are you looking around you, at the opposite set of lights turning orange/red, or what the opposite set of traffic is doing if you can’t clearly see the lights and making your preparations to go then so that your green light is not a surprise? You can actually hang back 1/2 car length from your lights so that you can go on orange and be already rolling over the line once your light turns green if you’re really serious about getting a jump on the next car.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@zokes try it in Victoria, you will only get there poorer

stumpy01

Kryton57 – Member

Twice now I’ve been had by inocuous looking other diesel cars, I seem to be slow off the line. 120d msport manual if it helps, sport mode engaged of course. Should be 7 ish seconds, feels more like 9.

Maybe the innocuous looking cars are quicker? Or not as quick, but the driver is better at getting off the line?
    When I first got my previous Ibiza, there weren’t that many little cars with big diesels in them & quite a few tailgating BMW cockbags got a surprise when their Ultimate Driving Machine failed to dramatically pull away from my ‘innocuous looking diesel’….

Could be that some of them are re-mapped too…..there’s a re-mapping place near me (Jabba Motorsport) so you quite often see crappy looking 1.9 TDi’s (old-ish Golfs, Fabia VRS, Audi A4s) with modified bumpers (to give space for the intercooler) & huge front intercoolers that normally give the game away that they have been given a tickle….

Kryton57 – Member

…..sport mode engaged of course.

engaged….. 😆
    Do you say ‘engaging sport mode’ in a Clarkson-esque drawl, when you press that button? I bet you do…..

benp1

Poor clutch getaway? Can make a difference

Changing up too late? Try changing for peak torque rather than peak power

retro83
    Free Member

probably granny shifting, not double clutching like you should

rocketman
    Free Member

Twice now I’ve been had by inocuous looking other diesel cars

Drive through Wolverhampton & you’ll be the first away from the lights everyone else is texting

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ 🙂

Maybe the car isn’t as fast as you think it is
    Get the car remapped if you want more performance

My neighbours Audi TT was a lot faster than I thought those cars where, then over a drink one night in the pub she admitted it was an RS but de-badged

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘0-60 in a diesel – what am I doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.