Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 0-10k swim..any info grateful.
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

so my knees disintegrate after just a few miles running so given up trying that, I do like a sea swim after work a few times a week since its warmed up a bit, and reading up on wild swimming has lead me down a path looking at doing a local river dart 10k swim in september 2013 (nowhere near good enough for this year!)
    my swimming isn’t great for long distances, any tips for open water swimming practice or drills bearing in mind i don’t practice/swim in pools or have spare time to join a club etc or is it just a case of get water miles in and become more efficient in the water doing so…
    my mrs has agreed to do it too, but unfortunately for me she is an excellent swimmer already!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

See today’s early Total Immersion/Swim Smooth thread

tommo999
    Free Member

I started to dabble in triathlon, and having never swum before found it hard going. That was a year ago I started. Now I can swim 2.5k in our local lake in about an hour. I’m knackered by the end but can make it. For me just regular swimming helped a lot, when I missed sessions i noticed the difference in speed was vast so I always make at least one session per week.

So, I would say just swim lots and lots and you’ll get stronger and build your endurance.

carlphillips
    Free Member

total immersion looks funny! how on earth does he breath? not sure i’d fancy that technique in open water!

@tommo
    at the moment its between once and three times a week (unfortunately all consecutive days so no resting inbetween) but its only been a few weeks so no noticeable difference, and i have different currents/tides/winds etc that will affect times and how tired i feel at the end…!
    I think i’ll do a bit of reading around the subject like above on swim smooth stuff as over long distances I’d imagine technique is key!

convert

Vary your pace/aim/distance rather than do the same old thing. Some swims short and sharp, some long and slow. Some with intervals of hard swimming interspersed with gentle recovery.

If you are a numbers geek and can stomach the cost buying a garmin 910xt adds a bit of info to an open water swimming programme.

Remember the Dart 10K is nothing like a 10Km swim as its very current/tide assisted.

ton

i did the otley triathlon many years ago.
    the swim was in the river wharfe, fastest mile swim i have ever done.
    i would love to do a 10k swim down a river with a bit of current pushing me on.
    1 hour swim sessions were all i could take.

tommo999
    Free Member

At 1-3 times per week it won’t take long to build your endurance 🙂

carlphillips
    Free Member

sounds good i’ll do some reading and get cracking then. thinking of doing a few river swims down the dart and avon to get used to the rivers. enjoying the sea swims though if a little wierded out by murky deep water and sea monsters/sharks etc lurking underneath!!

slugwash
    Free Member

Are you still thinking of doing this Carl? Registration opens on Tuesday 12th.

I’ve kayaked it often enough, it would make a change to ditch the canoe and get a bit more tactile with the water.

OSS Dart 10K 2013

jam-bo

wave as you go by my office.

slugwash
    Free Member

Huh! I think I’ll have at least left the Totnes section of the river before I start waving for assistance 😉

(Work Saturdays do you?)

jam-bo

and you’ll be lost as I think it starts just downstream on the other side by the rowing club. Last year I saw a few people swim by on training swims.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’d like to do it at some point. Some members of my swim club did it last year and the coach’s son won it in 2 hours 3 mins.

I’m not sure how i’d get on with feeding sessions, drinking before swimming normally makes me feel sick

ebygomm
    Free Member

Tickets have gone on sale today, sold out in 10 days last year.

slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve got mine 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

The £75 no refund if it’s cancelled has put me off

SaxonRider

Just don’t think about sharks while you’re swimming and you’ll be fine.

Oh, and Northern Pike, and slimy, scaley creatures. And ones with tentacles.

Basically, avoid these, and you’ll ace the 10k.

mogrim

Just don’t think about sharks while you’re swimming and you’ll be fine.

Oh, and Northern Pike, and slimy, scaley creatures. And ones with tentacles.

Basically, avoid these, and you’ll ace the 10k.

Could be advantageous: thinking about how all these (and more! Don’t forget the Kraken!) are coming up behind you…

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’d love to do it but it clashes with a wedding.

Instead I am doing the Derwent from just near my house to Derby 13ish km. Some point in June. Whilst it is less snappily named, it will be free to enter. It is a bit more exclusive too – limited to me, my mate Gary, and any other local idiots we can persuade to come. There will be a feed station at about Duffield where I will have concealed a bag of mars bars or similar next to the river. Anyone successfully reaching Derby will be transported back to the start in the 13 year old VW Golf of Doom. Extensive safety cover will not be provided. There are 4 weirs on the way, 3 are definitely runnable, I still have to scout out the other one to see if we need to walk round it.

stick_man

As convert said the Dart 10km swim might be 10km over the ground but on the outgoing tide it’s more like 5km of swimming at the most.

I did it with some mates a couple of years ago in about 2hrs 45min including a couple of stops for jelly babies and I’m no swimming legend.

If you’re confident in open water and generally fit you’ll be fine. A real 10km in a cold lake would be a different matter.

slugwash
    Free Member

It’s sold out now!

…instead I am doing the Derwent from just near my house to Derby 13ish km. Some point in June. Whilst it is less snappily named, it will be free to enter. It is a bit more exclusive too – limited to me, my mate Gary, and any other local idiots …………

…..13 year old VW Golf of Doom. Extensive safety cover will not be provided. There are 4 weirs on the way, 3 are definitely runnable, I still have to scout out the other one to see if we need to walk round it.

Now that sounds like my kind of adventure 🙂

If anyone Devon based fancies slithering down the River Dart from somewhere up on the moor down towards Buckfast then drop me a line. I’ve already done it lots of times upside down in a kayak 😉

(Warning! I’ll have to wear my cheap multicoloured Lidls wetsuit to avoid damaging more expensive Orca wetsuit on granite boulders!)

geologist
    Free Member

Me and a mate, are doing another exclusive.

We are going to swim as much as is doable, from the source of the Teme, to ludlow where we live, about 3 or 4 long days.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘0-10k swim..any info grateful.’ is closed to new replies.