Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • -10C in a tent. How to say warm?
  • LadyGresley
    Free Member

The Neo-air is your problem – no insulation in it. In effect you’re just sleeping on a bed of freezing air.

peterfile
    Free Member

The Neo-air is your problem – no insulation in it. In effect you’re just sleeping on a bed of freezing air.

Yup.

Stick a £3 closed cell mat under it (I stick closed cell mats under the tent sometimes if i’m pitching on snow, not only does it provide extra insulation, but it helps stop the snow melting and the tent sagging).

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

In cold weather i always use two mats. Closed cell old karrimats that i use to line the inside of the tent with (pre cut to the right shape and gaffer taped together) and a thermarest mat that i use to sleep on. Fortunately I’m not massively tall so there is space at the bottom of the bag for clothes and water so they are still ok in the morning. Other than that sleep in thermals, socks and a wooly hat and i’m toasty.

tonyd

Lot’s of good points already, I’d emphasise:

– Pick your spot, make sure the tent is sheltered (but safe!)
    – Anyone you can share a tent with? More bodies = more heat.
    – Decent down bag with a liner, close the hood. Make sure the bag stays dry – I tend to keep mine in a dry bag whilst it’s packed and I’m hiking.
    – Decent insulating mat, and make sure it’s full length – I have a 3/4 length one for most uses (feet on bag if it gets cold) but when it’s very cold it’s not good enough.
    – Make sure you’re well fed
    – Keep water in the bottom of your bag, along with damp (but not wet) gloves etc.

maccruiskeen

I saw a great documentary once where a guy was being shown a technique in the Gobi desert of heating rocks on a fire then sleeping on top of them in the open air. As his guide was making the preparations the presenter asked “So how often would you do this?” and he replied “We don’t do this ‘often’ we don’t do it at all if we can help it. We’re doing this because you asked. Its going to be horrible, we could die” 🙂

woody2000

If you need a wee, go for one instead of trying to put it off. You waste heat keeping piss warm if you don’t 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

If you need a wee, go for one instead of trying to put it off. You waste heat keeping piss warm if you don’t

One of my favourite parts of camping in the middle of winter is being able to get maximum use out of my pee bottle. Not only can I stay in my sleeping bag to go for a wee, but once I’m finished I have an instant hot weewee bottle 🙂

tonyd

One of my favourite parts of camping in the middle of winter is being able to get maximum use out of my pee bottle. Not only can I stay in my sleeping bag to go for a wee, but once I’m finished I have an instant hot weewee bottle

+1 It’s what nalgenes were invented for. Just make sure if you do leave it outside your sleeping bag that it’s not put next to your tent mates water bottle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you’ve got a synthetic bag, wetting yourself works well.

peterfile
    Free Member

If you’ve got a synthetic bag, wetting yourself works well.

🙂

If you’re sharing a tent, weeing on your camping buddy is fun and generally tolerated in very cold conditions or if they are kinky.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Would the mesh-lined tent not be a factor too? I can’t see it’d be as warm as one with a proper inner, unless there’s enough snow to seal up the gap to the fly.

Sanny
    Free Member

Silk bag liner for added smiles, MC. very light and easy to pack for touring.

Alternatively, I’ve used a bivvy bag when things got really cold.

Hats are also a good bet.

….or just man up and stop being a bloody jessie! 😀

boblo
    Free Member

Buy a better bag and send yours home. Those mesh tents are draughty when it gets cold as well but you’ll struggle to get something light with a full nylon inner over there. I’ll post you one though if you want 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘-10C in a tent. How to say warm?’ is closed to new replies.