Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • “Rain Rader” apps – which is best?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Currently have RainToday. It’s good – the radar gives a good idea of whether the rain is localised or unavoidable, how long it’s going to last and so on. It works europewide (was handy in the south of France). BUT the adverts are annoying as they auto play and cant be skipped. It’s a subscription service at £9 a year so before I sign up are there any better alternatives?

Dark Sky has been recommended for a £4 one off. Has anyone tried any others?

thecaptain
    Free Member

I use RainAlarmXT (costs a quid maybe to get rid of ads). Though doesn’t seem to work in France if that’s important to you.

Stoner
    Free Member

Dark Sky. The free version is fine.

I also use NOAA for on the continent as Dark Sky is really only any good in UK

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apalon.weatherradar.free&hl=en

thepurist

Rain Alarm free skinflint tightwad version for me

jakd95
    Free Member

Not an app, but if you’re on a computer then Ventusky us great.

oikeith

Good thread, these will be handy for the comign season!

Just downloaded the iOS versions of Rain Today and Rain Alarm will see how I get on.

molgrips
    Free Member

I use raintoday.co.uk – mobile adapted site. No faff, just rain radar. Much better than raintoday app which is unrelated and annoying, it kept beeping at me telling me rain was imminent whilst being pretty inaccurate.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive been seeing tweets from the MetOffice for their new Rain Alarm App, but I havent tried it yet

NigE5
    Free Member

Pay for Rain alarm pro or use the free version with small adverts

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I subscribe to WeatherProHD. They are the folks who will be doing the BBC weather instead of the Met Office.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Rain Alarm.

About as accurate as you get without looking out the window. It’s maybe a little better than looking out the window. Looking at the rain track you can work out if/when that band of rain will hit from up to 2hrs before.

The actual alerts are more of a warning. Yes there’s rain nearby, but you need to look at the map to get a good idea where it’s going.

Can use the website if you’re app-phobic.

Yes free has ads, but they’re not intrusive.

nedrapier

I had Rain Alarm, figured I’d got at least £2.50 of use out of it so paid for the no ads version.

I’d also recommend the yr.no app with widgets showing meteograms for the next 36 hours.

Kahurangi

-on Android-

I would use RainToday but the map always crashes on mobile (run by MeteoGroup)

I do use WeatherPro Free (also MeteoGroup). The map is lower resolution but seems to be more up to date than RainToday.

I’m going to check out some of the alternatives mentioned but it’s not bad having inside the same app that I sometimes se for the actual forecast.

NigE5
    Free Member

I should add that rain alarm also works in most of Europe except France, but Meteoradar will do all of Europe. There is a paid for version as well for phones.

GRAEMEJONES

Home and Dry App, just select precipitation from the menu.

Andy_B

Rain alarm, met office aviation services and AeroWeather app.

Rain alarm and reading a chart along with not understanding how forecast accuracy goes from 90% to 10% fairly quickly seems to work. It depends what you’re doing but I tend to look at morning / afternoon / evening / overnight to get a general idea of going out in the morning or afternoon or just finding something else to do.

As people have said above just seeing the intensity of rain and movement / speed is most useful.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

AccuWeather does the trick for me.

CountZero

I subscribe to WeatherProHD. They are the folks who will be doing the BBC weather instead of the Met Office.

Likewise, been using it as long as it’s been available on iOS, and I have RainToday as part of the subscription, but frankly WeatherProHD is better just on its own.

hammyuk
    Free Member

WindyTV is the best I’ve used and the most accurate.
    We use for work too

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Just started using Dark Sky after using Arcus for many years. Pretty accurate for the rain so far…

dawson

I use Rainy Days on Android

derek_starship
    Free Member

I subscribe to RainToday.co.uk.

£25 per annum and so accurate it makes me smile.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘“Rain Rader” apps – which is best?’ is closed to new replies.