• This topic has 89 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • ?eta Male – thanks guys
  • jamiehibbard
    Free Member

Hello,

I just wanted to say cheers to all of you who have pledged to my magazine project. The biggest group of backers have been mountain bikers, and the buzz started here (from a negative to a positive!).

Sadly, unless by some miracle, we’re not going to reach our target, but I’ve got a plan b so will see how that pans out.

Thanks again,
    Jamie

peterfile
    Free Member

Jamie, if you add a new special pledge level, offering to recreate that moment in Chainspotting when your chain broke and you went “oooooh” just before eating concrete, I’ll pledge

(btw, this isn’t because I want to see you get hurt, only because you’ve just reminded me of a younger, happier version of myself, rewinding my VHS 1,000,000 times to laugh at that scene over and over 🙂 )

I hope it all goes well.

(jeez, i’ve just realised that Chainspotting can’t be far off 20 years old now????)

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

It wasn’t my chain the broke, it was Martyn’s (I think). As usual, I was just a very vocal bystander…

AlexSimon

I’m really surprised this didn’t work out.
    It’s not for me, but I know a lot of people who I thought it was perfect for.
    Still time for a last minute marketing campaign!

No point in giving up. Anyone who pledges now will be a customer if something does eventually materialise.

willjones
    Free Member

No harm in putting the link up again?

jamiehibbard
    Free Member
    grum
    Free Member

If I look at the proposed content there’s a fair bit that I would probably be interested in – but the whole hipster/lifestyle branding kind of thing really turns me off. And the name…

wwaswas

I wasn’t sure if it was for me either but I thought it was worth £15 to find out and let someone fulfill their ambition.

DezB
    Free Member

If I look at the proposed content there’s a fair bit that I would probably be interested in – but the whole hipster/lifestyle branding kind of thing really turns me off.

Couldn’t quite put my finger on it – but that’s it exactly.
    I can see myself coming across articles about things like stupid shaving equipment, fixies with narrow bars, shit old music and making woodpiles and getting all annoyed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep I have a beard (and trimmed it today), I’ve owned axes and wood burners, have a bike but never really looked for a lifestyle…

Is this for me?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have a trimmed goatie, long hair (neatly quaffed), own a chainsaw, own bikes, ride bikes, waxes legs, races CX, have two woodburners (another just being born) have two farms in the family, owns an Appt, owns a house, owns an Audi, owns a van, owns a check shirt (or two), owns muckboots, owns Boss suits, wears glasses etc. etc.

And yet, still not for me that. Not enough balls, too much pontificating.

Speeder

Jamie

Here’s some advice on Kickstarter from a couple of people that failed at the first instance but learnt from it and went on to have successful campaigns.

Inc.Com – 10 secrets to a really successful Kickstarter campaign

5 lessons learnt from my first Kickstarter campaign

Best of luck

Gary

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

Those of you asking ‘is this for me?’ could probably just chuck a quid in and then you might be able to find out, rather than just dismissing it before it even exists.

Unless ‘too much pontificating’ was ironic… 🙂

Speeder

Here’s some more advice thought the title is very unBritish

How to dominate Kickstarter

G

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Those not bang up for the potential content, make a £5k pledge and get a page for your own content 😉

Jamie, when do you open this up with a share buying option? This reminds me of the early days of SingleTrack mag…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Jamie, BOL with it. But I’ve done enough naval gazing in my time to find out 1) who I am 2) what I want in life.

As said BOL

RustyNissanPrairie

im already a Beta guy (I think) and always have been , owned an old Landrover for years, drive a Transit van as my daily driver, own a log burner, have a cellar full of tools, own an industrial unit full of landrover bits/bikes/stuff, worn a beard for years, have my own style on a bike, work as an engineer yet am co-director a in womens fashion/clothing/retail brand, can work a lathe/milling machine/sewing machine, build things/engines/walls, have travelled extensively etc etc

I’m who I am because of people influencing me in my formative years – parents, god parents, friends.

I dont need a magazine to tell me who I should be, and if you’re an IT geek who cant tie his own shoe laces then thats fine- your skills and contributions to the world are different to mine, but please dont think you can change your ‘lifestyle’ ( I hate that word) by reading a magazine.

Good luck Jamie but Im out.

DezB
    Free Member

but please dont think you can change your ‘lifestyle’ ( I hate that word) by reading a magazine

Change your lifestyle?? I think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick completely there.

larrydavid
    Free Member

Jamie, I mind articles you did for MBUK back in the early 2000s – always thought they were cool….

Anyway, here’s some unsolicited feedback from someone who lacks the balls to do anything imaginative or original…

Basically, the content really appeals, and the articles seem interesting and original. But… the description of your target market… not so much. Seems to be describing people who engage in things in a fairly unsubstantial and superficial way and in a somewhat dilettante manner. Obviously, I’m in that bracket, but I’d rather not be reminded of my shallow pretensions…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Couldn’t quite put my finger on it – but that’s it exactly.
    I can see myself coming across articles about things like stupid shaving equipment, fixies with narrow bars, shit old music and making woodpiles and getting all annoyed.

I thought the whole point is that you’re supposed to come all over across those kind of articles.

madjak
    Free Member

I think it’s all being taken a bit too seriously, do you really think the aim of the magazine is to educate everyone in to how to be “alternative?”.

I read it as marketing but as everything in life you take what you want from it, there is no need to get upset about these things. I like the idea though I dont totally associate with the picture being draw of the Beta Male. It’s artisitc license isn’t it?

The mag looks like it’d have some good content so I’m in for a few £.

DezB
    Free Member

I thought the whole point is that you’re supposed to come across those kind of articles

I prefer boobies

finbar
    Free Member

One further possible funding source Jamie – sell me your 1996 Turner Burner? Or at least post a photo of it. That bike was literally the coolest thing in my 12 year-old world 8)

Cougar

Must admit, I’m surprised. Jamie’s Kickstarter is basically “STW Chat Forum: The Magazine.” Lots of folk in denial here. (-:

wwaswas

For Dez;

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

finbar – that bike, which I loved more than any other, was borrowed by a ‘mate’ who then promptly allowed it to be stolen. I still miss it now.

Cougar – true!

RustyNissanPrairie – it’s not about changing your lifestyle, you just might find some cool stuff to do. Becoming a dad totally changed my perspective so I thought it would be cool to share some things.

madjak – you’re probably right!

bikebouy – thanks 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

If I look at the proposed content there’s a fair bit that I would probably be interested in – but the whole hipster/lifestyle branding kind of thing really turns me off

another +1.

Those of you asking ‘is this for me?’ could probably just chuck a quid in and then you might be able to find out, rather than just dismissing it before it even exists.

Someone went to some trouble choosing the model and the set up for the cover pic, presumably with the hope it captured the spirit of the mag, and its exactly the sort of pretentious self-conscious bearded hipster tw*t image that makes me turn TV adverts off and despise the likes of Rapha, let alone keep my money in my pocket.

peterfile
    Free Member

Someone went to some trouble choosing the model and the set up for the cover pic, presumably with the hope it captured the spirit of the mag, and its exactly the sort of pretentious self-conscious bearded hipster tw*t image

Erm, that’s Jamie, the creator 🙂

geoffj

Someone went to some trouble choosing the model and the set up for the cover pic, presumably with the hope it captured the spirit of the mag, and its exactly the sort of pretentious self-conscious bearded hipster tw*t image that makes me turn TV adverts off and despise the likes of Rapha, let alone keep my money in my pocket.

OOOOF

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – hahaha you guys on here crack me up! It’s just a picture of me to illustrate that anyone can be on there.

Lots of love,
    That pretentious self-conscious bearded hipster tw*t

njee20
    Free Member

😆 & geoffj

DezB
    Free Member

😆 Funniest thing I’ve seen on here in ages. I might stick a pledge on!

wwaswas

I’m not sure

That pretentious self-conscious bearded hipster tw*t

is an improvement over

Beardy McAxerson aka Cockmonkey

tbh. Your work here is not yet done.

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

I still like Beardy McAxerson best! I’ve not had so many nicknames since I left MBUK…

nedrapier

If I look at the proposed content there’s a fair bit that I would probably be interested in – but the whole hipster/lifestyle branding kind of thing really turns me off

But you can buy it ironically, leave it on your coffee table as a point for wry observation and deconstructive conversation, “I know, isn’t it?” then read the bits you’re interested in while no-ones looking. That’s my plan.

Good luck, jamie, seriously.

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

nedrapier – thanks mate, you’ve hit the nail on the head!

geoffj

pretentious self-conscious bearded hipster tw*t

second only to whiney middle-class cockbags (c) Luke 😆

Euro
    Free Member

Being cool isn’t a hobby really and a lifestyle magazine for cool people won’t be bought by said gentlemen, they’re too cool for that nonsense.

..it’s not about changing your lifestyle, you just might find some cool stuff to do. Becoming a dad totally changed my perspective so I thought it would be cool to share some things.

Just do a blog then?

wwaswas

Just do a blog then?

but he wanted to do a magazine?

Euro
    Free Member

But it’s a bad idea for a magazine. If he wants to tells us how to drink tea, climb hills and be a father then a blog is a better idea. If he wants to make money from a magazine i’d suggest weddings or home furnishings

I’d love to be an astronaunt. Will you pledge some money to make my dreams come true too? 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘?eta Male – thanks guys’ is closed to new replies.