by Ben Haworth
May 24, 2012
1. What’s your name?
2. What’s your job?
Owner of Singular Cycles.
3. How long have you been racing bikes?
Well, racing the local kids since I was about 5, first proper mtb race was 1993, so nearly 20 years.
4. What’s the best bit about The Classic Weekender?
The format is great, the atmosphere is great, the people are great – but the best bit has got to be the bonfire.
5. What’s the worst bit about The Classic Weekender?
The wind and the stony ground – both of which can wreak havoc with tents and EZ-ups.
6. What’s your favourite aspect of The Classic Weekender?
The handicapping system works really well. I suppose it should be even more severe as the strongest XC rider still has a big advantage. But I’m not complaining, if it favoured the DH guys more I would be in big trouble.
7. What sections of The Classic Weekender were your strengths?
None of them really. Should be XC, but it’s a pretty tough course there, not exactly singlespeed friendly either. Still, I enjoy racing a DH course of sorts for the first time in probably 15 years, and the ‘Trials’ is also fun!
8. What sections of The Classic Weekender were your weaknesses?
Definitely the DH. And a propensity to drink rather too much on the Saturday night, and the Friday for that matter.
9. Any pet hates?
Misplaced apostrophes and saddles which don’t match grips.
10. What are you never seen without?
A Singular bike of some sort.
11. What’s the website you visit the most?
Singularcycles.com back-end, closely followed by singletrackworld.com
12. What one thing would you rescue from your burning house?
My wife and my dog – thankfully the bikes are all stored elsewhere.
13. Favourite place to race?
Tough. Majura Pines in Canberra, Australia is where it all began for me and has some amazing trails. Probably the most fun I’ve had on a race course is Kirroughtree, Bristol Bikefest course is fantastic, the course at SSWC in Aviemore was amazing. Sorry, can’t decide.
14. Most impressive cycling injury?
Big scar above left eye.
15. What’s your desired super power?
Time travel. Covers all bases.
16. What was the last bike race you did?
Actual race would be a cx race last winter (hang on, it’s still winter right?). Sadly missed all the Gorricks this year, but got a good few lined up for this summer.
17. What is the next bike race you’ll do?
18. What are your expectations for this year’s Classic Weekender?
In racing terms; not lose too much time in the DH, top 10 overall would be great. Otherwise I’m sure it will be the usual concoction of fire, fun and beer. I really ought to have a proper go on the pump track as well.
Read more about the Weekender format and stuff – www.singletrackworld.com/weekender
Lee Quarry, Lancashire, July 14-15, 2012
A weekend of Trials, Downhill and XC racing
Three different races .
The ultimate “all rounder” event
Only £40 for the whole weekend! Includes camping. Entry to all three events. Each race MUST be completed on the SAME BIKE.